Sign in to follow this  
Kengi

Rudder Pedals: Heels on the floor or not?

After I picked up a yoke/TPM I stopped using my xbox controller, so lost rudder control. I took apart the xbox controller and mounted the pots on a plastic strip so I could use them for rudder control with one of my hands off to the side.

I'm in the process of designing a feet-based system using the same pots (plus two more from the same controller for toe brakes).

My original design called for using some old garden aerator shoes found in the alley as a base for my feet, kind of like the Saitek Proflight pedals. After reading some comments on these forums about the difference with the Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals, I wonder if I should go with something like that instead. It would be easy to do either way.

So, what's the consensus? Feet in a holder, like the Proflight pedals, or heels on the floor, like the Combat (and Cessna) rudder pedals?

Thanks in advance for any input.

You'll probably find heels on the floor to be more comfortable and give finer control.

Good luck!

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I also like my heels on the floor a lot! The Combat rudders are my first though, so I don't know how the other types feel. But from what I have read (various reviews and posts) most people seem to like the heels on the floor more.

Most aircraft put your heels on the floor, not up in cups.

However, depending on the design of your custom pedals, you may find it easier to build something that raises your feet above the mechanism, requiring heel cups.

Heel cups may also be an advantage for use directly on thick carpet, as your heels may not slide well on the floor.

Heels on the floor do make it easier to hold partial rudder for long periods of time, as you can use your foot as a lever rather than holding the position with your legs.

Do a Google Images search for real aircraft rudder pedals as well as those for PC sims. Some of those may inspire you.

Well I originally had the older TM Elite pedals, which were basically cups you raised your feet up and put into to operate.

Used them for years.

Got the Saitek Combat pedals a couple of months ago, and could not be happier - much more comfortable and much easier for me to control with the heels on the floor. I have the tension adjustment set at lowest setting, so can move the pedals easily without much effort.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like no one likes the heel cups. Will design accordingly.

A lot of aircraft in real life have metal or plastic plates under the heels of the rudder. Look at the Maule for a good example. These are there to help the heel slide. Rotating your heal while resting on the floor also allows for very fine control. Also if you look at photo's of old cockpits, you will see wear patterns on the floor were the heal is resting/sliding.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Also if you look at photo's of old cockpits, you will see wear patterns on the floor were the heal is resting/sliding.

Yeah, I did notice that. I figure on using a piece of polished sheet metal as a base for the heels. I'll mount the slides and self-centering system up from the middle mounted sideways. (Using a simple wedge over the distance of travel to engage the pots.)

Thanks for the tips!