Sign in to follow this  
klarien

Radar Contact

I've two problems with RC4.

1)-When I'm approacing an airport for landing, the program always tells me to change the route, and gives a new heading.

I have to ignore this and wait until RC recognizes the Star of my flightplan and gives me the correct vectors

2)-Rc doesn't let me to reach the correct altitude,because forces me to mantain an high altitude, so when I receive the vectors, the aircraft is too high and I have to follow an holding pattern to lose altitude.

Any advice

Thanks

Matth

1. The IAP approach as posted by Graham lets you do your own navigation to the assigned (recommended) or runway you choose. STAR waypoints must be included in the plan sent to RC and be in sync with any navigation waypoints you might be using. Just after the crossing restriction at 40 nm out you'll be told to contact Approach. Approach will assign an arrival runway and give you a new heading vector and altitude. After you ack this you have the option of requesting an IAP to the assigned runway or a runway you request. An IAP means essentially that RC will not dictate nor advise you of navigation to intercept the final approach. First we recommend you stick to the assigned runway since RC examines ai patterns (if present) as the first priority to avoid conflict. ai do not always follow lower value winds and can accept low tailwinds to get a better suited runway (all under FS, not RC, control). ai patterns are examined just prior to your approach assignment and then as you get nearer one more time so a runway assignment can change. An IAP is a suitable choice if following navigation device terminal databases all the way to the intercept heading such as with an FMC. A proper FMC lets you assign the final ILS/LOC approach when Approach assigns the runway.

If STARs are runway specific just include the common waypoints for all runways in the plan sent to RC and then take vectors or use the IAP option. Also check out the NOTAMS options for flexibility as described in (2.) below.

2. Depending on what phase of flight you are talking about (enroute center or approach) options vary. The crossing restrictions are mandatory (11,000 - FL 110) or 12,000 - FL120) depending on your arrival direction. On the way to the crossing restriction RC gives you step descents. It calculates the top of descent based on the 3:1 rate of descent estimate to the crossing restriction, not the surface. You can request a lower cruise altitude from center but you'll still have to do the crossing restriction. After the crossing restriction I think you can request a lower altitude but not sure. You also have the ability when setting up the flight in RC to use the NOTAMS option. This places RC into an advisory capacity that other than the crossing restriction lets you deviate from altitude without ATC complaining. The IAP option mentioned in (1.) lets you totally do without advice your own navigation to the advised (recommended) runway after you ack the first vector from approach. This includes altitudes.

A browsing of the tutorials can explain all.

and there is an entire section in the manual on flight planning, specifically coverting departure procedures and stars. i think that will help as well

jd