Sign in to follow this  
mryan75

Carenado Saratoga manifold pressure problem

Hey guys and gals,

I bought the Saratoga from Carenado really because I'm thinking about buying a real one and wanted to see how it does for cross-country trips. I've encountered a problem relating to engine performance that I just can't figure out. When I get to cruising altitude, I can get the prop set to where I want it and the mixture correct, but even with the throttle maxed, the manifold pressure won't go above 22 inHg.

In the reference manual that comes with the plane it says for cruise: "75%, set per power table." But there is no power table. I did research online and found that for 75% power you should go for 24 inHg and 2,500 RPM (another suggestion I found was 25 inHg and 2,400 RPM). But I can't get anywhere near those inHg settings. Another thing to note is that the fuel flow gauge underneath the manifold pressure gauge has two lines, one for 65% power and one for 75%. I don't even get near the 65% line, so I know I'm not generating even 65% power.

So I put along at 120 mph. I may as well be flying a Cherokee 180 for that speed. What gives? Any ideas?

For info, yesterday I was at 8,000 feet and the mixture was set at about 35%. CHT and EGT were both fine. I'm just not getting any umph!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!