Sign in to follow this  
bman7

Is it worth it?

I have FS9 and quite a lot of add-on terrain and planes, and I was wondering if it's worth the $19 - $30 to buy FSX. How much of an improvement is there as far as add-ons and the base scenery/planes?

And if I should get it, what version should I get?

Fsx is definitely worth it!

The multitude of great addons alone makes it a must have.

Get the Deluxe version,as it includes all the sps & "acceleration" as well

Since you asked in the FSX forum a lot of people that run FSX problem free will say yes, its worth it, including me. But, if you ask in the FS9 forum you'll probably get the opposite answer, especially from people who tried it and couldn't get it to run near its full potential. Although I have witness some staunch FS9 supporters, most recently a guy who posts in the screen shot forum with the tag line in his sig that said "FSX is dead.. Long live FS9", recently convert to FSX and say they wont go back to FS9.

The choice is yours and you can try for a modest price and if you dont like it go back to FS9, or use both like some do. Personally I love FSX and will never use FS9 again.

Get FSX Gold since it includes everything you need in one package.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's worth it IF you have a fairly modern PC e.g...

i5, i7 CPU

6 GB+ DDR3 RAM

Modern Graphics Card <--- Not as important as the aforementioned items since all Flight Sims are CPU dependent and any average GPU can render the graphics in FSX even at full settings.

If you don't have the above hardware (or the AMD equivalent), you can still run it on something like...

Wolfdale e8400 to e8500

4 GB DDR3 RAM

Modern Graphics card <-- At least one generation behind current ones as a trade off for less processing power.

Depending on your expectations, you are going to have to over clock whatever CPU you have (or buy) because of the fact a faster processor = better performance because it is a CPU bound game vs. GPU bound...

And don't forget to have a large budget to spend for all the add- ons!

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

FSX SP2 Acceleration and FSX Deluxe. The only way to go. But , if you can; have a powerful computer. I run an Intel ® i7 CPU 3.07 GHz, 64 bit operating system, with 12 Gig of ram. I also run two Nvidea GTX680 Cards which by the way doubled my frame rates over the twin 470's I previously had. My system still crashes occasionally and says it runs out of memory.That is with everythng maxed out and running a heavy(PMDG 737). Not so with a general aviation aircraft such as a canenado 172. My best frame rates and visuals occur with all sliders to the right and running 2CM in stead of 5 in ORBX. Heaviest sceneries are from 14-27 frames per second. Most areas such as LAX with Megascenery 26 Frames and up. Uk2000 sceneries with trees and airports in Europe - 40-90 plus frames per second. Don