Sign in to follow this  
Air1

I love round engines

Can you name these aircraft, all saw service in Hawaii and Alaska hence the connection to Flight. Easy peze From Airventure 2012. What do people use to upload video to the forum. I have some (AVI) great stuff from the Toro, Toro, Toro re-enactment of the Pearl Harbor attack put on by the Commemorative Airforce. It is a very powerful and emotional show If anyone is interested? I have never had any luck uploading video.

B-29, B-24, F4U-5 and B-17 ;) PBY does not have leading edge oil cooler like that.

BTW, little known fact. Radial engines dont leak oil. They mark there territory.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

B-29, B-24, F4U-5 and B-17 ;) PBY does not have leading edge oil cooler like that.

you are right about the PBY oil cooler... I just finished checking .

Yes, Kevin is correct as usual. That did not take long! Glad to see some people are still awake out there in the vastness of Flight land.

Steve

That second pic doesn't look much like a B-24 to me...Wing looks like it attaches mid-way up the fuselage. B-24 wing should be higher up, not mid-wing. Also, the top turret on a B-24 is a little farther forward. And the shape of the fuselage aft of the wing is wrong...

My vote is B-25 for the second pic.

Ok, yes in deed, my bad, it is a B-25 in the 2nd picture. I took the picture and should have written them down as I was resizing the jpegs. Good eye.

Ack. Sorry. Ya, its a B-25 Mitchel, not a B-24 Libby. B-24 has oil cooper intakes on the left and right side of the coweling.

Anyways, I think I have modeled ALL of those at some point in my career.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

B-24's had oval shaped cowlings.

I have been on the B-25 in your pic in Michigan last summer. Very nice plane.

Clay

Round Pounders forever...

Lovely pictures, thank you! They just don't make them like that anymore.

Best regards.

Luis

if a radial engine isn't leaking, it's out of oil! proud to have performed the last radial engine change in Air Force history - we swapped out a 2800 from the C-131E being used as a support aircraft for the 121st TFW.

My dad flew B-24's with the 64th squadron, 43rd bomb group, based in New Guinea, late '43 and early '44.

64.jpg