Sign in to follow this  
Falcas

TRK up and HDG up in the ND

Hi,

Is there a way to change the TRK up to HDG up already in the latest version of the 747-400X?

As a RL 747 pilot I was very surprised to see that the default is TRK up. It is also very annoying to fly like this, so that is why I want HDG up.

I already did an extensive search on the web and found that with the 737NGX there is an option to select this. But I can’t find it anywhere for the 747.

Also very surprised to see that there is no Speedbrake Armed EICAS message. As this is a normal checklist item and can only be done by reading the EICAS message.

Someone can help? Or is there still work being done for an update?

I have v2.10.0040 installed.

Gr Falcas

Hello,

I have no intention, time or need to challenege or question you, but may I ask what RL 747 pilot means? Do you mean 'real'? If no, your question is understandable and I'd be happy to answer it.

If you are, I am surprised that an answer is required.

Either way, I'm more than happy for a discussion on the topic; for instance, switch between MAP and VOR mode and you will see TRK change to HDG, but isn't that obvious?

Line 747's are company-selected (usually track up, as per PMDG), but it is an option and can only be changed by rewiring/programming by the tech chaps.

Over to you and a warm welcome to the forum.

Best,

Dan.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hello,

I have no intention, time or need to challenege or question you, but may I ask what RL 747 pilot means? Do you mean 'real'? If no, your question is understandable and I'd be happy to answer it.

If you are, I am surprised that an answer is required.

Yes, RL=> real life. Funny to see that there would be a difference to the answer if I where or where not a 747 pilot. The question was how to change the TRK to HDG. :wink:

Either way, I'm more than happy for a discussion on the topic; for instance, switch between MAP and VOR mode and you will see TRK change to HDG, but isn't that obvious?

Yes, that is obvious if the MAP mode would show TRK, but in the real aircraft it is HDG not TRK. Even better, nothing changes if you switch between VOR or MAP. :biggrin:

Line 747's are company-selected (usually track up, as per PMDG), but it is an option and can only be changed by rewiring/programming by the tech chaps.

Over to you and a warm welcome to the forum.

Best,

Dan.

Why would you think that most companies would choose for TRK? Having TRK on the ND makes no sense at all. The nose of the AC pointing one direction and your compass (on the ND) pointing an other direction? Everything is made to fly with headings (and as always there are exceptions) and I have never had the need to have track indicated on to of the MAP. The white line (vertical in ND) is your track already. There is no need to have TRK up at all.

You write that "usually track up". Well I can't speak for other companies, however I would bett it is actually "usually heading up".

In the end it does not matter what a company has set. The company that I fly for has heading up, so that is why I had asked for the option to have heading.

Gr Falcas

Just for the record, the Virgin Atlantic 747-400 and the Cathay Pacific 747-400 in the ITVV videos both show TRK up but, of course, they could be the exceptions.

Dugald Walker

VIrgin have that option, but BA, as per the poster's question, uses HDG. It can be switched in the simulator by the press of a button, if requested, but not on the real aircraft so easily. Good to check which is being used in the sim, if necessary.

This is not possible to change in PMDG or in real life unless the airline approve the techies to do it... but they have their preferences and that's it.

I know some pilots who went from HDG to TRK and liked it... others TRK to HDG and liked that! I'm a TRK guy because it's useful for LNAV navigation and saves having to worry about drift visualisation, for example.

If you put the wind to ridiculous levels, you will see the lower compass rose under the PFD shows a white track drift bar.

Some people are unaware of the difference. For anybody reading, track and heading are not the same thing: a heading could be 360 but, due to wind, your track is 008. Imagine you were flying 008, without wind - that's your 'track' with a heading of 008 with the appropriate wind from the left (pushing your right).

Displays on the ND are optional in the sense that it shows your HDG or your TRK. PMDG shows TRK for the 747 which, for example, Virgin use. British Airways use HDG. The difference is nothing in terms of navigation since, at the end of the day, if the FMC is loaded up well, LNAV will follow the magenta line and automatically adjust for winds. You'll see a 'current heading' pointer so, in a way, this could be called a 'hdg up' indication, but that's a bit weird.

Boeing prefer TRK up and Airbus prefer HDG up - that's just how it is.

Why have 77 keys on a piano? Just a circular question with no end.

Best to all,

Dan

The current PMDG offering is now over five years old, for its time it was a marvel & such subtle options were not considered nor probably even programmable at the time.

BA did have one a/c with Track UP as standard - G-BNLH - she no occupies a spot in the storage lot at VCV & also spent several years on lease to QF.

I am 100% sure it will be a customer option for the 744X V2 which follows on from the T7 - in the same way as it is a selectable option for the NGX.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

... and as mentioned in the OP, the Speedbreak Armed on the EICAS would be nice. I always wondered why that wasn't there.

I recently did a video with a cargo fire and it seems the outflow valve system, especially manual landing alt, is not animated, so I had to play around with manually opening/closing the valves to maintain a higher cabin altitude for a good hour or so until descent began. Nevertheless, PMDG is truly an incredible simulation.

Best,

Dan

Speedbreak Armed on the EICAS would be nice

As a customer option only though.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'