Sign in to follow this  
Alan_A

Will next-generation IB MOBO's bring new benefits?

I posted this question over at Simforums, but my longtime hardware guru, Nick Needham, is between builds and tells me he can't offer an opinion.

The question is - will there be new Ivy Bridge-compatible motherboards available in the near future that offer significant benefits over currently available ones like this one?

I'd originally planned to wait and build a new system around the next wave of IB chips and the next generation of NVidia cards (700 series, or whatever they'll be called). However, for totally non-tech reasons, I'm considering donating my current rig to a friend who's dealing with some personal hardships (family illnesses and such) and would like to get back into flight simming.

Given those circumstances, I'd consider building with current hardware, then upgrading the CPU and video card later. Not the world's most economical choice, but as I said, there are other considerations. However, I wouldn't want to have to change motherboards later, since that's going to require a complete FSX re-install, and I don't relish doing those every few months.

So if there's reason to hold off on motherboards as well, then I'll wait. My friend can probably enjoy FS9 on his current rig and I can aim to upgrade him later on. That's Plan B.

Let me know what you think - should I build with a current motherboard, or wait?

Thanks in advance.

There won't be a "next wave" of IB chips. Intel's release cycle includes one major release per product family, and then if there's room at the end of the product's life cycle one last tiny clock speed increase (see 980x->990x, 2600k->2700k, etc.)

The Maximus V Extreme is a great board, but unless you've planning on overclocking using liquid nitrogen or using 4 graphics cards, I wouldn't go that far. A decent Z77 board like the Asrock Extreme 4 or 6 is sufficient, barring the aforementioned usage cases. If you're dead set on an Asus MV board, check out the Formula model instead and save yourself $100.

There's nothing wrong with current IB boards as far as I can tell. I don't think there's going to be a new chipset or "next-generation" IB boards.

The only issues with IB are temp related. If Intel fixes the crappy cooling they used for the IHS people will be hitting 200 - 300MHz higher overclocks, but that's the most you can expect from a new batch provided they go back to fluxless solder.

People can keep on waiting for a miraculous IB mutation, but it is what it is, a die shrink of SB, and it's not bad at all as it is anyway since it has an edge clock for clock, ever so slightly faster but fast enough that it easily makes up for the few MHz you may lose because of temps.

Maybe Nick knows more than the regular googler like me knows, he has a contact in Intel after all

ever so slightly faster but fast enough that it easily makes up for the few MHz you may lose because of temps.

Also, Ivy Bridge supports faster memory so that also gives it a slight edge over the SB platform.

I probably confused or overstated the case re: IB - what I'd meant to refer to were new steppings that might possibly be better overclockers.

Thanks for the advice re: the alternative MOBO's - I sometimes try to address these challenges by throwing money at them but the economy being what it is, I wouldn't mind holding back. Have already had a long conversation with myself about PCI-E SSD's and decided not to go there.

Also, Ivy Bridge supports faster memory so that also gives it a slight edge over the SB platform.

true that