Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

What are we gaining by moving from Flight to FSX?

Weren't Flight people who complained FSX ones always fly on autopilot? And no, not every plane as an autopilot, and autopilot can break and you'll have to learn to fly without...

Perhaps you missed my point. If you're in a pattern in a Piper J3 Cub you don't have a lot of options on how you can fly; the thing only goes so fast. If you're in the same pattern as the Cub and you're in a 737, THEN you have to be very careful. But in that case, ATC is guiding you in and it's mostly their responsibility to maintain separation. The people in the 737s are the ones who have autopilots.

The planes I normally fly in FSX need to maintain about 90 knots in the pattern, and I have no problems with slower planes at uncontrolled airports, with or without autopilot.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Between the Cub and a 737 there are a lot of planes.... and sure, it's ATC responsibility to mantain separation, but you have to comply with their instructions, they are not piloting your airplane... and if you're asked for the full procedure it's up to you to fly it. And having to talk to ATC adds another layer of complexity - you have to multitask much more than just flying in an empty world all on your own. It's more challenging.