Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Programming the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

Hi all,

I posted here a few months ago about programming my Sidewinder but with no direct response to my question. I have the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, which is the best joystick I ever had. Now that I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on my new computer, it won't install the original drivers. Windows 7 will install generic drivers when the USB is plugged in but these do not allow me to program my Sidewinder. I've been very very angry with Microsoft and they have really gone to the dogs. They don't even design Sidewinders anymore, as I know of. It would have been no trouble for Microsoft to release a patch so that we can use our Sidewinders in Windows 7. Every place I look, I haven't found a joystick that compares to mine. I hear many say that they use the FSUIPC to map actions to their joystick, but I haven't figured out how to do that, even after reading the manual, and I do have the license version. Does any know if there is a driver that we may not be aware of for my Sidewinder that will make it compatible with Windows 7? And yes, I've tried all of the compatibility troubleshooting and it still is determined not to work. If not, how do I map the actions from the FSUIPC to my Sidewinder?

Ken.

Hi all,

I posted here a few months ago about programming my Sidewinder but with no direct response to my question. I have the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2, which is the best joystick I ever had. Now that I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on my new computer, it won't install the original drivers. Windows 7 will install generic drivers when the USB is plugged in but these do not allow me to program my Sidewinder. I've been very very angry with Microsoft and they have really gone to the dogs. They don't even design Sidewinders anymore, as I know of. It would have been no trouble for Microsoft to release a patch so that we can use our Sidewinders in Windows 7. Every place I look, I haven't found a joystick that compares to mine. I hear many say that they use the FSUIPC to map actions to their joystick, but I haven't figured out how to do that, even after reading the manual, and I do have the license version. Does any know if there is a driver that we may not be aware of for my Sidewinder that will make it compatible with Windows 7? And yes, I've tried all of the compatibility troubleshooting and it still is determined not to work. If not, how do I map the actions from the FSUIPC to my Sidewinder?

Ken.

Hi,

Does anyone know about this topic? If I have to buy another joystick, I want one that I can program the actions to and have freedom of motion, not the spring return to center type, and of course, be compatible with Windows 7. What do you recommend?

Ken.

If not, how do I map the actions from the FSUIPC to my Sidewinder?

Nice font, Ken. :smile:

Now that part is easy, you can go directly to the FSUIPC menu and assign the buttons to commands or you use the freeware LINDA from here. http://forum.avsim.n...orum/424-linda/

FSUIPC looks like this.

29506909.jpg

LINDA like that.

linw.jpg

All of this needs the registered version of FSUIPC, which is well worth the money. On LINDA, it may look a bit complicated first, but there's a good tutorial out and the soft is very powerful and free.

Great joystick that is, you are absolutely right.

Nice font, Ken. :smile:

Now that part is easy, you can go directly to the FSUIPC menu and assign the buttons to commands or you use the freeware LINDA from here. http://forum.avsim.n...orum/424-linda/

FSUIPC looks like this.

29506909.jpg

LINDA like that.

linw.jpg

All of this needs the registered version of FSUIPC, which is well worth the money. On LINDA, it may look a bit complicated first, but there's a good tutorial out and the soft is very powerful and free.

Great joystick that is, you are absolutely right.

Thanks CoolP,

I think I got it now. When using the FSUIPC, is it possible to assign different Keys assignments for each aircraft? What I mean is that for example, the PMDG 747-400, the 737s, and the MD-11, will have their own assignments and the Level D 767-300 will have its own assignment. So, is it possible to assign each aircraft's own key assignment to the FSUIPC or do I have to use the same assigments for all of them? I know FSUIPC allows me to use the FS assignments but they will not work in the PMDGs, probably because I'm running Windows 7.

I'm going to try out the LINDA software and see how that works. By the way, will this software work for FS9? That's the one I use most of the time. If not, can I download one for FS9?

Ken.