Sign in to follow this  
dieter_ua

Limitation on number of sceneries

Hi guys!

I was told that FS9 is limited only to 1000 sceneries. Is it so? Does anybody have a clue how to bypass this limitation (I believe there should be a solution)? I've noticed recently that after I add a new scenery the last previously added one disappears, from which I figured out that there must be a kind of limitation on number of added sceneries. Please advise!

Hey. Short and one answer. Not correct. you can add more than 1000. I have nearly 2000 Sceneries. So that was you had been told was wrong.

KR

Thanks for the tip. I had doubts as I got 1097 sceneries. Any ideas why this might happen?

Hi guys!

I was told that FS9 is limited only to 1000 sceneries. Is it so? Does anybody have a clue how to bypass this limitation (I believe there should be a solution)? I've noticed recently that after I add a new scenery the last previously added one disappears, from which I figured out that there must be a kind of limitation on number of added sceneries. Please advise!

I am wondering if your scenery configuration file may have errors in numbering that might causing your problem. If you think I might be correct then there are several utilities available at AVSIM that can help fix it without having to check or renumber a thousand plus entries manually.

Regards,

Mel

Thanks for the tip Mel! I'll try to find a utility and renumber my scenery cfg with it.

You can download RanaInside, Flight Sim Manager, here at Avsim Library. A great utility but regretfully no longer supported. You will need to also download Backdate from www.backdate.net (freeware) in order to make FSM work.

Echofox

Thanks for the tip Mel! I'll try to find a utility and renumber my scenery cfg with it.

I use a utility called FlightSim Manager. (freeware) It is getting a bit aged but it is still useful for a few tasks and not much in the way of a learning curve.

http://library.avsim...anMode=0&Page=2

fsmgr285.zip, . . . . . . . . . and please note that a patch is required to fix a date limitation that would otherwise keep the program from working. The patch is available from FlightSim.com, the file name is fsmgr.zip If you are interested in trying this program but can't download from FlightSim.com feel free to PM me and give me your email address, I'll email the patch file to you.

There is also a simple scenery configuration renumbering utility here at AVSIM that you may prefer:

http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

Search Renumber Scenery Config Win32 v 1.2.0 FS9 and FSX, file name: rsc_v1.2.0

I haven't used this one but the obvious advantage is you don't need to fuss with the patch.(although the patch is extremely simple to install)

Regards,

Mel

edit: Sorry EchoFox I didn't realize you were responding as well, didn't mean to step on your post. I type slow.

Hi guys! Thanks a lot for your help! Following Mel's tip I downloaded a utility called "Renumber Scenery Config" (rsc_v1.2.0.zip), found it very easy to use and renumbered my scenery.cfg ok. Unfortunately I didn't have time to check the effect it did on my scenery library, I've just peeped in quickly and seen that the scenery structure had been changed, but it still needs a thorough checkup after which I can tell whether the problem has gone. I didn't quite understand though why would I need to use the Flight Sim Manager to roll back my FS to 2005. Quite frankly, I'm a bit scared to do it.

I didn't quite understand though why would I need to use the Flight Sim Manager to roll back my FS to 2005. Quite frankly, I'm a bit scared to do it.

That is in part was what the patch fixes. The program has / had a time limitation and would not function if the calendar date on your computer showed anything beyond December 2005. The early fix to that was to reset the OS calender to prior to that date, run FSM, then set the calendar back to the correct date when finished. PITA! BTW it doesn't really role back FS9 at all. That said, some of what FSM can do can be really, really bad for FS9, if one is not careful. I think all in all you will be fine with RSC for what you need to do.

As you add / remove and move scenery up and down in priority, as in add some scenery, move it in priority, then remove it, add something else, move it etc the scenery configuration's numbering system can get garbled and that can lead to problems.

Best regards,

Mel

As you add / remove and move scenery up and down in priority, as in add some scenery, move it in priority, then remove it, add something else, move it etc the scenery configuration's numbering system can get garbled and that can lead to problems.

I disagree. This is a simple text file and the Scenery Library can manage it just fine.

IMO there are 2 things that can screw up the scenery.cfg

One is poorly coded auto-installers that try to edit the scenery.cfg.

The other is mistakes made by people when they hand edit the scenery.cfg.

Yes, in your scenario you will end up with a scenery.cfg that has mismatched [area.nnn] and layer=nnn.

And yes some people believe that causes problems. They are misinformed.

There is no connection between those parameters and FS doesn't care if they match or not.

If they had to match , then why have both of them in the first place.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

As the late great Opa always advised, never use auto installers. Best to create a new folder on the desktop and open the downloaded item to that. You can then see the contents and if your happy copy them to the appropriate destination/s, this way you know exactly whats going where. (Mel, my toe hurts, trust you are well. G.)

Regards

Echofox

The program has / had a time limitation and would not function if the calendar date on your computer showed anything beyond December 2005. The early fix to that was to reset the OS calender to prior to that date, run FSM, then set the calendar back to the correct date when finished. PITA! BTW it doesn't really role back FS9 at all.

But my computer calendar is up to date and never showed December 2005 in its life by a simple fact that the computer was bought just a couple of years ago. Whilst the problem appeared just recently (may be a month or so). There's one small fact though. Roughly at the time I noticed the scenery glitch my computer clock stopped to function, i.e. if I cut off computer's mains the Windows clock shows the cut-off time at start and I have to manually change the time settings. By all appearance the mother board battery is flat and needs replacement. Could this in any way be a cause of my sceney problem?

As the late great Opa always advised, never use auto installers. Best to create a new folder on the desktop and open the downloaded item to that. You can then see the contents and if your happy copy them to the appropriate destination/s, this way you know exactly whats going where. (Mel, my toe hurts, trust you are well. G.)

Regards

Echofox

I never (well almost never) use auto installers. I did it just in a few instances and that could hardly cause the trouble.

As Mel is probably having his breakfast, I will do you a quick reply. Flightsim Manager although still available on Avsim is no longer obtainable from the developer, RanInside. It will only work if your computer date is set back as Mel describes. The small program that does this only operates to start FSM, then automatically resets the computer date to the current one, it doesn't upset your computer. I have been using FSM to check my scenery since I had problems some time ago and Mel was most helpful in sorting it and advising me on FSM. I only use it for scenery and can't advise you on other functions within the program. Hope this helps.

Echofox

Thanks Echofox! The latest FSM I've managed to find on Avsim is FlightSim Manager 2.8.5 of 20th November 2005. Hope this is ok. If I understood you and Mel right this FlightSim Manager will help me with my little problem. To run it I must change my OS calendar to no later than Dec. 2005? After I run it I can change my calendar back to present date? Am I right? Do I have to do it every time I want to run FlightSim Manager? What is still vague to me is what should I do after I run the FlightSim Manager? Which of its parameters will help me overcome my scenery glitch? And what about my mother board battery?

With the patch that has been mentioned you will NOT have to change anything yourself, you won't even notice a difference unless you check your calender while running FSM. This should not in any way affect the MoBo battery. It is just a temporary change to the internal clock setting. The author never imagined his program would still be of use beyond December 2005 I guess and I honestly have no clue as to why or how such a limitation was programed in except for the dating of the backups the program is capable of making.

Once you have the program installed and the patch files put in place in the install folder of FSM and first run the executable make sure it is set to run directed at FS9 not FS2002, Once you have it set up you should see something like the screen shot.

To renumber the scenery configuration file click on second icon from the right that sort off looks like a picture of a doctor. That will open a new interface called Diagnostic Tools, under the Diagnose Scenery section just click on Scan for Errors. If you have any it will report it. If any are found the click on Fix Errors Found. FSM will fix them and make a backup of the old cfg file. You can then shut the program down and you are done. However if you have run RSC already and found and or fixed anything all of this will just be waste effort unless you just what to tinker with FSM to see what all it can do. Do not use it to assist in installing anything!!!! And do be cautious - look but don't touch until you are sure of what you are about to do.

Again if you don't have access to FlightSim.com I will be happy to send you the patch. As EchoFox said, I also only use FSM for the sole purpose of Scenery.Cfg sorting / fixing.

@EchoFox: Breakfast is on the way. Glad your toes survived.

Regards,

Mel