Sign in to follow this  
luckyswede

Mesh in P3D?

So, finally, after the release of P3D 1.4, I got me a copy of this most interesting simulator. :smile: I also got me the FSX to P3D migration tool. Now time to install some favorite add-ons and go flying.

But, here's my question - What is the stock mesh they use? Is it the same as FSX, or anything better? Do I need to install my good old mesh from FSGenesis to have a correct mesh? Or What?

/Torbjörn Kuntze

Overall terrain mesh used in Prepar3D is the same FSX stock mesh.

Changes made by L.M. have focused on core engine components. Other than upgrading some airports and regions, the stock data remains intact. From what I understand they also fixed a slew of legacy scenery database issues that were reported to them by the user community. It is possible that the mesh from FSGenesis may cause some problems in certain areas where rework has been done by L.M.. I do know some users have experienced localized problems using UTX so I never transferred its use to Prepar3D to avoid conflicts.

Give it a try and judge for yourself, that is the safe bet. If you don't like it or it causes problems then just un-install it.

Cheers,

Cpt. Thad Wheeler

preview_prepar3dbarcode0.jpg?rev=0

Yes, I guessed that the mesh was not changed. I have now installed FSGenesis mesh, UTX and GEX for europe and made some test-flights. So far, so good. Looks lovely and (almost) stutterfree. P3D is so far a big "WOW".

/Torbjörn

Yes, I guessed that the mesh was not changed. I have now installed FSGenesis mesh, UTX and GEX for europe and made some test-flights. So far, so good. Looks lovely and (almost) stutterfree. P3D is so far a big "WOW".

/Torbjörn

The real test with GEX and UTX w/ Prepar3D is if you're running Orbx scenery.. Switch to your FTX region.. Load an area with GEX/UTX terrain (default) and observe the terrain.. Switch back to Default P3D in FTXCentral and fly the same area and observe the terrain. Chances are random `swaths' of areas will now have corrupt textures under the "default P3D" FTX setting. It will look like someone splattered dirt all over them and flattened the houses.

In all my testing there is definitive differences in the way the tiles are handled either in Prepar3D or how FTXCentral is handling the backup and restore process when switching regions. I agree what was said above.. Best to leave UTX and GEX alone until Flight1 have a definitive answer for us besides their current stance which they make very clear. UTX and GEX at least in my opinion is one of the definite addons that isn't as simple as straight copying over if you're using Orbx scenery.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors