Sign in to follow this  
Sorensen_DK

GTX580 and a second GPU for multimonitor

Hi all.

I have an ASUS P8P67-M motherboard and are probably about to buy a GTX580 GPU. Now I also need another GPU for 2D panels. Anyone have a setup like this and can recommend what 2nd GPU to buy that in your experience works flawless?

Best Regards

Bjarne Sorensen

For proper operation, with multiple GPU's, they need to both be identical GPU's and used in an SLI configuration. Many have made that mistake. The new 670, 680, etc will support 3 or 4 monitors , not sure about 4, using Nvidia surround, You do know a single 580 will support 2 monitors? I run one 580 with two monitors, Cockpit on one 28"monitor and gauges on a 24" monitor.

Dear Rendi.

I need a third monitor, which is why I need a second GPU. I have heard of others using a high-end GPU together with a low-cost GPU for showing 2D panels etc, so I really do not hope I need to buy 2xGTX580 :rolleyes:

Best Regards

Bjarne Sorensen

Dear Rendi.

I need a third monitor, which is why I need a second GPU. I have heard of others using a high-end GPU together with a low-cost GPU for showing 2D panels etc, so I really do not hope I need to buy 2xGTX580 :rolleyes:

Best Regards

Bjarne Sorensen

You don't need to buy another 580 and you certainly don't need to run SLI. Buying another 5 series card is advisable just for the best chance of being able to run the same driver for a long time (in case Nvidia deprecates support for an older card you might buy now in the future). Another member here is looking at a GTX 560, I would say that's a good match for your current card and at a reasonable price also. Here's the link to the one he found on Newegg

Thx for answer.

But with my P8P67 mobo, i dont think I have room for two "big" GPUs with own cooler etc. - I have to check that (in that case I guess I can just use my old GTX280). I was thinking more of a very cheap basic GPU.

Best Regards

Bjarne Sorensen

You could purchase a 2nd 580 used on Ebay which may be around the same price as a lower end 500 series card. The going rate seems to be around $220-250 USD. The only reason I mention this is perhaps you may want to go the Surround route at a later time and that would allow you to do this without having to buy yest another GPU. Also, I haven't seen 58's in retail store anymore.

I just happened to come across on Ebay a new, unopened 580 GTX for $350. Beats the current price of what, 680's at $550. Runs great. Just make sure if you do go the Nvidia Surround route to keep the series #'s the same (in this case the 580's), AND the on board memory has to be the same. For me, both boards have 1.5GB on each.

If not interested, go with what TechGuyMaxC says.

ah, just saw your latest post. Yea with your GTX280 since you already have that.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit