Sign in to follow this  
Brent

Simconnect.xml

Paul

I'm following your DX10 Notes guide and want to back up the files you mention including simconnect.xml however I can't locate that particular file in the .../Roaming/Msoft/FSX folder. Any idea why its not there?

I have found the other FSX files but before proceeding I want to make sure that I can recover my DX9 settings if this doesn't work out for me.

Regards,

Brent

Hi Brent: I couldn't tell you why it's not there - but FSX will create one if and where it's needed for a particular purpose. To this point you have nothing which you have installed that doesn't already have a simconnect.xml, and you have not had an application where you had to install simconnect as a separate operation, that's all.

In writing the doc, I have to assume that very few, or no-one - is a power user, and so I have to say "backup everything before you do anything". One could backup one's own C:\Users\{your username]\ and achieve the same thing, but that would take more time and space.

My simconnect.xml for eg, refers only to IPv4 as a global protocol, and I installed it there - I don't expect that that's so important, as the OS will know it's own address and what protocol to use. A version is created by each application that uses it to connect to the sim, each one storing the protocol to use, and the address to go to, perhaps other parameters, too. There is one for ActiveSky, FSX_Planner, MyTraffic: You can also do a search for the xml's that are in the filesystem and you'll likely see several pop up.

Having said all that! - I also have the instructions for Simconnect recovery/repair here, if ever an app cannot make contact with the sim, and this is also published in a goodly number of other sites too. To me the most important file is/was the logbook.bin,wherein I lost some 500 hours a couple of years ago!

I hope this alleviates the stress!!

All the Best, :wink:

pj

Edit: - just looked at your pc specs.... Nice machine, eh!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul

Greetings from southern Ontario! Thanks for the clear answer and info on Simconnect.xml. I've never had any problems with simconnect (ActiveSky, REX, MyTraffic) and I didn't want to barge ahead with the DX10 changes and then have "tweakers regret" later. :lol: My DX9 FSX is running quite nicely but would like to try out the DX10 alternative based on your guide and the positive posts I've been reading here. I'll give it a go tomorrow!

Cheers

Brent