Sign in to follow this  
Gandalf99

Building high end fsx rig - request optimization suggestions

Hello dear community!

I am finally about to start my journey into the world of flight sims with a brand new FSX rig.

I've read many guides and this is the setup I'm currently going for:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K

CPU cooler: Corsair H100

Mainboard: Asus Rampage IV Formula (will the Extreme help improve frame rates?)

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2400 MHz CL 10-12-12-31 (I've read high speeds and not more than 2 sticks are best)

GPU: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II Top

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D or Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower (any pros or cons?)

PSU: Corsair AX 1200 Gold

HDD OS: WD Caviar Black 1TB (for other Games too)

HDD FSX: WD Velociraptor 1TB

Sound: Asus Xonar DX/XD

I intend to overclock the CPU as much as stably possible.

Can you suggest any hardware changes that will improve my frame rates (short of an i7-3960X)?

I plan to add a lot of add ons, so SSDs are too small (or too expensive) as FSX drives at the moment.

From what I've read, an SSD for the OS will not improve frame rates.

Thanks for any input and cheers from Switzerland :biggrin:

Chris

Well, you already went the best. You could top the card to 680 if you got the little more dough there. Other than that, perfect.

SSD for OS is recommended, OS really benefits from SSD. FSX is so-so...fast loading and responsiveness when switching views or paning, other than that, no difference.

Keep the fast Black Caviar for data and games though. I use 128GB SSD for programs and windows, works really well. And it didn't cost me even 100€...

PSU: Corsair AX 1200 Gold

Way overkill. Save some money and go for the AX750 or AX850.

Corsair Obsidian 800D

Definitely this one.

(will the Extreme help improve frame rates?)

That Extreme gives you a massive amount of tweaking options in the BIOS etc. It is very easy to overclock on an Asus Extreme board.

GPU: Asus GTX 670 Direct CU II Top

If you save money on the PSU, use the leftover cash to get the 680.

Indeed, PSU is an overkill. Just go less (not less than 850) and put rest into 680.

What max RAM speed is possible to set with SandyBridge-E? Do they physically allow 2400MHz?

What max RAM speed is possible to set with SandyBridge-E? Do they physically allow 2400MHz?

Yes. - 2400MHZ is the max.

Thanks Ben.

But you should use 4 sticks with a SandyBridge-E systems for quad channel.

Hey guys,

thanks a lot for your quick feedback.

About the PSU:

I am considering upgrading to a triple monitor system sometime (have one 30" NEC 2560x1600 display right now) and thought it might be good to have the extra power in case I need one or two more of the same graphics cards to power those three 30" monitors in SLI mode. But I've read somewhere that SLI and FSX don't work well together. Any ideas on what the best hardware solution for 3x30" displays (Nvidia Surround) is?

@SAAB340:

I've read everywhere that you shouldn't use more than two RAM sticks for FSX because 4 sticks will put more strain on the chip that distributes the data to the RAM, thereby slowing FSX down. Does the presence of a mainboard with quad channel RAM change that?

Cheers and thanks again

Chris

Don't despair with the 3-monitor solution, as LM/P3D are working on that, and already now, the 3-monitor solution seems to work better in P3D than in FSX - there has been one confirmation on this!

So, a dual or even triple GPU solution is not looking that bad in the future. I am very sure that LM will address that, as it is THE performance solution, especially with DX10 and v2.

So, if you plan on going more screen and more GPUs, PSU is great!

Right now, there is no "best" solution, as unfortunately, each solution is the worst. I would also plan on going 3x27inch for P3D one day and two or three GPUs.

If quad channel mobo + appropriate CPU, then quad channel is better. The above applies for what I know only to dual channel systems.

Ah excellent, thanks for that piece of information Word Not Allowed.

I didn't know that.

I have seen several videos on Youtube of people running FSX with triple monitor setups, so it must be possible. But I need to read up on where the issues lie exactly.

Thanks again for everybody's input. That was very helpful! :im Not Worthy:

Hi guys,

I'm also planning to build my first FSX rig. I'm a first timer PC builder.

I'm going for the following:

* CPU: i7-3770K (overclocked as stable as possible)

* Mother Board: Asus P8Z77 (here is where I need help, I see so many different models, I was thinking to use the P8Z77-V Deluxe - $284.99 Microcenter - but I also see the P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel - $204.99 Microcenter -, could you please try to help me understand the difference?, I plan to hardwire the internet cable directly to the PC, so I really don't need WIFI.

* RAM: Corsair Dominator GT series 8GB (4GB x 2), DDR3, 2133 MHz, CL 9

* GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 SC, 2 GB

* SSD: Samsung 830 Series 256GB MZ-7PC256D/AM (For both Windows 7 and FSX + some Add-Ons)

* Hard Drive: WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB (For personal files)

* PSU: Corsair 1200 Watt 80 plus Gold

* CPU Cooling System: Corsair Hydro H100

* Case: Cooler Master RC-932-KKN5-GP HAF 932 Advance Full Tower Case (Not firm desicion yet)

Please let me know what do you think... If I should consider changing a/some component (s) please let me know your specific recommendation.

Thank you VERY much!!!

Futurepilot:

1) I'd rather suggest you open your own thread if you have stuff to question, not take other people's threads. Simply not right.

2) Good setup, but to be honest, did you expect anything else? You took from any component the best there is.

One suggestion: not 1x SSD for Windows+FSX, but should get 2x SSD for Windows and FSX.

Now, go and open your own thread. Or simply use my guide as a reference.

Thank you Word Not Allowed.

After I wrote my comments in this post I realized that it was better to open a new thread. Sorry Gandalf99 but I'm new in this.

Thanks again Word Not Allowed!

Gandalf,

The RIVE motherboard is a waste if you expect it to somehow get you more frames. The true benefit of this board is OC'ing ease and it is only easy if you are a hardcore OC'er. A Deluxe or Sabertooth is same in terms of what you get chipset-wise.

Get at least 16GB and 4 sticks of RAM.

Get multiple 670's or at least a 680 now.

When Ivy Bridge-E or Haswell(?) launch, LGA 2011 owners will finally be able to maximize their Multi GPU investments with certified PCIe3.0 CPUs and a board built for Multi-GPU use.

Hopefully P3D figures out how to get these uber-rigs to power the old FSX code properly. If this happens the $$$$ spent will pay off in pure FS bliss.

Good luck.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hopefully P3D figures out how to get these uber-rigs to power the old FSX code properly. If this happens the $$$$ spent will pay off in pure FS bliss.

I wish.... Who knows, P3D v2 might be multithreaded for GPUs and CPUs.