Sign in to follow this  
777-Pilot

FSX does not start with DX10 preview

Hi guys!

According to the install instructions of the great DX10 shader, I wanted to test if the DX10 preview runs with FSX. I ticked the relating box in FSX and restarted it; the blue start window appears (in task manager you can see fsx.exe appearing) and after one or two seconds, FSX and the blue start window close (it dissapears in task manager). I am using Win7 with a GTX570 with DX11 installed.

Do you have any ideas how to get FSX to work with DX10 preview mode?

Thanks!

David

Just a very Quick sneaky Question, David....Did you install the patch first? :smile:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul!

Thanks for you fast reply! Yes, I installed the patch first but, the DX10 preview mode does even not work with the standard shaders, before testing the new patch...

Regards

Well Paul has posted the complete ShaderHLSL mod folder up in the pinned topic about installation problems. This has all of the 3.1 mods done so you don't need to run Steve's install program. Download that to your desktop. Delete the ShadersHLSL directory from the main FSX directory then drag and drop the unzipped ShadersHLSL folder into the main FSX directory. Before starting FSX, go up to the (USER) AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\ and delete the Shaders10 folder (it will be rebuilt). Now restart FSX and see if it works. Sometimes these anti-virus programs mess up a good install....

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Just saying, if you are using FSX with the Post Process Injection Tool, it can cause FSX to crash when loading in DirectX 10. I was having the same problem as you describe until I removed that mod, and then presto!

Thanks for you answers! But the problem is, that FSX just does not load with DX10 activated. Independent from the new shaders and with default shaders, it wont start and shows the above named problems.

Is there any add-on that could cause with FSX in DX10 in general?

David - take a look in your FSX root folder for any "D3D9.dll" or "D3D10.dll" files. 4thPlayerFilms has the most logical answer at this point, and we need to know this - OK?

:smile:

Thanks,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I would rename your fsx.cfg to fsx.orig, restart FSX and let it rebuild. If it starts up, go to setup and enable DX10 Preview and see if it works. If it does, then there is something wrong in your config.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks guys! Found a file called dxgi.dll. That was the problem. Is there actually any difference between the new and the old shader-file relating the dx9 shaders?

You mean DX10 shaders? There's definitely a difference between the default DX10 Shader folder and the modified version. Your DX9 Shaders are not modified whatsoever and you can switch back and forth as much as you want. Glad you were able to fix your problem!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

David,

I glad to run across this thread... It seems that I've run into the same problem you had with getting the DX10 to work. When I change my FSX to DX10 preview and restart the flight simulator, I get the FSX start0up splash screen for a few seconds and then it just shuts down. It sounds like you were able to find the problem in the "dxgi.dll" file and fix it... I have located my "dxgi.dll" file but I was wonder if you could share tthe details on how exactly you fix the problem to get your DX10 preview to work.

Thanks a Million!

Thanks guys! Found a file called dxgi.dll. That was the problem. Is there actually any difference between the new and the old shader-file relating the dx9 shaders?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

No word back from 777-Pilot... Can someone possibly help??? I'm trying to get Steve Parsons DX10 preview to work. Like 777-Pilot, " I ticked the relating box in FSX and restarted it; the blue start window appears (in task manager you can see fsx.exe appearing) and after one or two seconds, FSX and the blue start window close (it dissapears in task manager)."

So what to do next??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mercury0ne0ne

Hi M11: Did you touch the shadersHLSL files/folders before you ticked the preview checkbox?