Sign in to follow this  
anubhavs

How to read altitude ceiling on SID chart? VTU5 example

Hello,

I am having trouble understanding the altitude restrictions and altitude ceiling on the VTU5 SID at KLAX. (http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1210/00237VENTURA.PDF)

Let's say I were to use the VTU.RZS transition. If I were to read this right, it basically says, after takeoff from let's say Rwy 24L, maintain heading 250 and stay below 3000 ft. You will then receive vectors to VTU VOR after which you will navigatee to RZS.

My questions:

1. What is the altitude restriction at VTU on this chart? Will ATC be assigning this?

2. Will ATC vector me again to RZS after passing VTU?

3. What would the altitude restriction at RZS be?

4. What does the "6000" between VTU and RZS mean? Does that mean minimum altitude of 6000?

5. The SID ends at RZS I assume (or rather "transitions" into RZS). What is the SID celing?

Thank you for your help!

Anubhav

If ATC assigns you 5000 for intial climb, you'll cross the SMO radial below 3000, but when past that, you'll continue climbing to 5000. ATC should climb you (traffic permitting) before you get close to 5000. If you file the RZS trans you are expected to fly to RZS after VTU. There's no altitude restriction at RZS... what I'm guessing you're looking at is the MEA minimum enroute altitude for that leg. (it's also an airway V25)

Here's a cool site with decent explanations:

http://www.langleyfl... and Holds.html

Here's another site I recommend (check near bottom for tutorials)

http://stoenworks.co... home page.html

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1. None other then the crossing restriction prior to crossing the SMO R154. Yes, ie you might get take off clearence to climb and maintain 6000.

2. No, you would more then likely be vectored direct to VTU then "as filed"

3. your assigned altitude

4. Yes, Minimum Enroute Altitude (MEA)

5. At RZS or DINTY, depending on where you are going. If you pull up the airway chart, RZS and DINTY are more then likely on the airway and you follow it from that point on. The ceiling would be what ever has been assigned by ATC.

Errrr...ya what he said. must have typing at the same time

You only need to be at or below 3,000 until crossing the Santa Monica 154 radial. I suspect you will have had clearance to a higher altitude as part of your departure clearance. You can climb to that once past that radial.

No, you won't get vectors to RZS.

Max altitude at RZS will be whatever you've been cleared to.

Suspect that 6,000' is the minimum. That's how I'd read that. Charts in this part of the world area formatted slightly differently, unfortunately.

I would expect that by RZS you'll have been cleared up towards your cruise FL since you're now seventy odd miles from LAX.

Stand to be corrected on any of that by people more in the know than me...

Haha... Was also typing at the same time. On the plus side, we all said the same thing!

Mike