Sign in to follow this  
scottb613

Heavy Metal - Tripple 7 - Help

Hi Folks,

OK - this morning I'm planning a flight from PHNL to KLAX - and - I'm not really a long haul trucker...

:)

I'm using the Singapore Virtual 777 PSS/POSKY merge and I believe FSBuild calculated about 95K lbs of fuel to get from PHNL to KLAX... I'm working my way through the FMC setup and it looks I keep getting hit with an "insufficient fuel" error when I hit the "Execute" button... Even if I put substantially more fuel in I get the same error... Does the FMC read the actual fuel loaded or am I inputting something wrong ??? Also - I keep getting caught in a loop off the "Perf Init" between "Takeoff" and "Thrust Limit" screens and can't seem to get back for an attempt to commit the changes... Can anyone step me through what I am doing wrong ???

Oh - one more FMC question - what is a "cost index" and what do I put in here ???

2356098.jpg

FLT REL IFR PHNL-08L/KLAX-25L MACH 84 A/C B777-200ER W/ TRENT892

FUEL TIME CORR TOGWT LDGWT AVG W/C

TAXI 000975 0015 . . . . 496663 407190 P025

DEST KLAX 089472 0452 . . . . ELEV. 126 FT

RESV 013483 0045 . . . .

ALTN 004718 0015 . . . . ALTN KLGB DIST 14

HOLD 000000 0000 . . . .

EXTRA 008989 0030 . . . . ZFW 380000 PAYLOAD 060000

TTL AT TO 116663 0622 . . . . DIST 2378

REQD 117638 0637 . . . . ETD

CLB BIAS 0.0% CRZ BIAS 0.0% DSC BIAS 0.0%

DEP BIAS 0 MIN 0 DIST 0 FUEL, ARR BIAS 0 MIN 0 FUEL

PHNL MKK4.APACK 23N53 25N48 27N43 29N38 31N32 32N27 DINTY MOOR3 KLAX/0452

Regards,

Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Hmm - I have a "Route Discontinuity" as well - but it looks right - can't seem to delete the issue - maybe it's related ? Maybe I should head back to the old "Tin Mouse" ???

:help:

4542873.jpg

4547772.jpg

Regards,

Scott

If your FMC is similar to B767/757, it's easy.

Clear the scratchpad, take 23N53 down into the scratchpad, and put it up after the preceding waypoint using the line-select keys, (on the left). You can't DELETE a discontinuity, you close it up.

Colin B

Hi Colin,

Ahh - thanks - I'll give that a shot...

Maybe that will allow me to complete the loading...

Regards,

Scott

Cost index is a figure decided by your company. Mine always used 80 but that was a long time ago, (retired 19 years ago). It depends whether you want faster cruise or more economy so can be high or low. Try 80 and see what cruise speed you get and change if you want.

Insufficient fuel is brought up if the FMC calculates you will arrive with less reserves than you've programmed in it, normally both entries are on the PERF INIT page.

Colin B

Hi Colin,

Perfect - thanks - since I didn't know - I was putting in "1" for a cost index...

Also - I was putting in "100" for reserves - too big right - so that might be my issue right there... I thought it was telling the system how much gas I needed to get to my alternate...

Big help - sir - I'll get this bird flying yet...

LOL - I may be back with more questions... I've done FMC flight before with the Captain Sim 757 - but - it's been a while...

Appreciate your time...

Regards,

Scott

Hi Colin,

Thanks very much - you helped me fix both issues... Flight plan loaded and the plane was able to fly it one I launched - with sufficient fuel...

Hi All,

Still found another issue I'm having - while the "V Speeds" are calculated and shown on the FMC performance page - the PFD still has a message that states "No V speeds" on the airspeed tape... On takeoff they never show... Is there a trick to pass this information from the FMC to the PFD ?

Regards,

Scott

PS: Where are the OBS Course nobs on a 777 ???

Thanks...

Regards,

Scott

If you have a page on your CDU/FMC for ARR/DEP or take-off info, make sure you insert a runway for take-off and that the route is then activated and executed. I'm not familiar with FMCs other than the B767-200 or 757, so help is limited.

You're up early, aren't you, or didn't you put your clocks back last night? :rolleyes:

Colin B

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your patience... Yeah was up early - I'm in the Northeast USA and we are just waiting to see what hurricane Sandy has in store for us...

OK - there are TWO pages on the "TAKEOFF REF" page - I only filled out one AND then after crunching the V speeds - you have to select the respective LSK - next to each value - to populate that value in the PFD...

I found the Course knobs - actually there aren't any... It's all done on the "NAV/RAD" page in the FMC...

Sooo - I'm getting there...

Now I need to figure out how to skip waypoints - as directed by ATC... Say I'm already passed a waypoint because ATC was vectoring me... I want the FMC to skip the first few waypoints and go directly to one further down the line... I have two buttons that seem related to this task - "RTE" and "NAV"...

The "RTE" screen shows the words "DIRECT" down the left hand column and the waypoints down the right... I would have thought that hitting the LSK next to the respective "DIRECT" would give me an option to go direct to that waypoint... I can't seem to get it to work...

On the "NAV" screen the waypoints are listed down the left hand column and hitting the respective LSK highlights the checkpoint and the "EXEC" light illuminates - but - pressing it doesn't seem to change the next waypoint...

Man - this is a great deal of work...

Thanks again for all your help...

Regards,

Scott

To go direct to a waypoint, use the LEGS page.

In your example above, ACT RTE 1 LEGS 1/4, if you are cleared to go direct to TOADS, use LSK4L to take TOADS into the scratchpad and then put it into the first waypoint position using LSK1L. Then you should get an execute light on, so press it and you're in business. Just select LNAV and it will go direct to TOADS then carry on on the programmed route or use HDG SEL. It looks as if you must do it using HDG SEL, I don't see an LNAV button only the VNAV one, for vertical navigation. Do you have an LNAV button on the Mode Control Panel?

Your ROUTE page shows DIRECT if you haven't put an airway in. If you put an airway in to a waypoint, it should then show that. ROUTE page is mainly used for pre-flight or major changes in flight. Small changes and Direct-to are done on the LEGS page.

Not sure what your NAV screen is, it might be something to do with your lateral navigation, (LNAV). How do you display it and what does it look like?

It looks as if you're going to have a major power outage tomorrow, looking at the charts. Know what its like. I had a house in Orlando for 12 years but luckily only caught the edges.

Colin B

Hi Colin,

YOU ARE THE MAN !!!

I think I'm starting to get the hang of it - thanks to my personal tutor... It's sooo easy a caveman could do it - - - LOL - - - once you know what you're doing... I believe the "RTE" screen is showing "DIRECT" because I used FSBuild to create my flight plan... FSBuild utilizes airways - but - since I'm cheating and the FMC has the ability to load saved MSFS plans - it doesn't see the actual airways... I bet if I keyed in the flight plan - using airways - it would show the airways... This is pretty cool and deeper than I've been with FMC use... I'm more comfortable flying GA...

OBTW: One of my buddies is a 757/767 captain for United... Actually he owns a Beech Sierra and I've got the Sundowner so we belong to the same type club as well...

Really - thanks for all your help...

Regards,

Scott

Pleased to help. This, together with helping on the LevelD forum, helps pay back for what I've had in the way of free sceneries, etc.

Done some GA flying since I retired, in the right seat with my son in various Cessnas and Pipers, (Lance, Saratoga and Cherokee). It's much easier flying IFR under positive control! I don't think I could ever get used to waiting until the runway is up around my ears BEFORE starting to flare. Anything below 30' RAD ALT isn't normal. :P

Colin B

Colin..... :LMAO: Me too.

Keep at it Scott. You'll be hooked on heavy metal in no time.

Lee Adams

JAFO