Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

A rain question

I going to ask this in this section as I only use dx10 now (thanks again Paul)

I have the latest rain mod added to my settings which gives me the Supposedly better rain, however under certain conditions lately it seems to me that it has gone the opposite way as when flying at night the rain looks and feels a bit like I've engaged the light speed drive from the star wars movies! ie the lines seem to follow a circular motion as if I'm going down a tunnel .

Also I can't remember now but did you not also get the rain bouncing off the windscreen in what looked like drops. I don't get this now either my screen remains totally clear even in the heaviest rain .

Is there something I may have done wrong or what can I do to go back to pre rain mod

thanks all

rgds

Pete Little

I going to ask this in this section as I only use dx10 now (thanks again Paul)

I have the latest rain mod added to my settings which gives me the Supposedly better rain, however under certain conditions lately it seems to me that it has gone the opposite way as when flying at night the rain looks and feels a bit like I've engaged the light speed drive from the star wars movies! ie the lines seem to follow a circular motion as if I'm going down a tunnel .

Also I can't remember now but did you not also get the rain bouncing off the windscreen in what looked like drops. I don't get this now either my screen remains totally clear even in the heaviest rain .

Is there something I may have done wrong or what can I do to go back to pre rain mod

thanks all

rgds

That is what it really looks like, if you fly at night, in the rain, with landing lights on !!

(especially if you are in a plane where the landing lights are in the center axis of the plane (ie Not on the wings). The direct reflection of the lights, on the rain as you fly into it, looks like you are in the USS Enterprise, traveling at WARP speed !!

Amazingly, I am not able to find any U-Tube video of Real Life cockpit views of fling in rain, at night, with landing lights on (say in a 172).

(Maybe just as well -- not the best situation to be in !! )

Nope you've done nothing wrong, Pete!

If I think back to FSX DX9 - the rain no longer appears on the windshield: This is a known FSX issue, but there are a couple of addon aircraft - I think RealAir - perhaps their SF260, where it impacts the windshield, but no - rain doesn't run down the windshield as it did in FS9.

Regarding the "tunnel" effect - I think this may be the same stationary aircraft "umbrella" effect, but translated into the forward motion, as when flying..

From the How-To doc:

You can also reduce the tunnel effect by altering the transparency of the shaders output

float4 PS(const VS_OUTPUT In): SV_TARGET

{

float4 cColor0 = txTexture0.Sample(samSampler, In.TexCoord0);

float4 cColor1 = txTexture1.Sample(samSampler, In.TexCoord1);

return float4(0.4,0.4,0.4,In.cDiffuse.w) * (cColor0 + cColor1);

}

I found Gizmo's instructions kinda hard to follow, and so I will re-word the doc in the next day or two. The change only affects the one line, anyway - the red one above, and it's just done by lowering the returned values. (1,1,1, in the original if you didn't make a backup and want to go back to default!).

So - try this, Pete - those are the same figures (0.4) for my rain40.fx and it works just fine. Remember to go into the:-

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\Misc

folder, and delete the Rain40.fx_0x4700000000000000_0x0f file.

(This will be replaced by FSX when you next fire it up.)

OK? :good:

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.