Sign in to follow this  
jimh

Some Hiccups

Hi,

Paul and Jim will remember my post about "jaggies". They were, in fact, huge jagged icicle like artifacts, appearing all over my screen in demanding areas like Orbx Melbourne, and especially Seattle.

I've been ok for a while, then to my dismay, these artifacts appeared again, after I had done some up to date tweaking.

I checked Inspector, and found my GTX 570 was getting up to 81C. I found that an addon USB card was sitting close to the 570, and obviously impeding the airflow from the twin fans, while another fan supposedly cooling the hard disc caddy had failed. I removed the card, replaced the fan, and speeded up the twin fans in the 570 to 90%.

I've now done some trial flying in FSX/DX10/full screen, resulting in the following GPU temperatures:

Before loading FSX...................................41C.......Loading 2%

Flying in UK Photo scenery.......................54C.......Loading 40%

Orbx Darrington.........................................54C.......Loading 55-60%

Orbx Melbourne........................................74C........Loading 65-70%

Orbx at Seattle..........................................76C........Loading +-85%

At Seattle, I'm still getting some jagged artifacts, but if I change to windowed mode, they disappear, and if I continue flying I have no further problems in a window (fps are around 24-26).

I'm using a TH2GO, controlling three 22" monitors, so that puts a big demand on things. Can I ask what maximum temperature is safe for the GTX 570?

I'm curious about the abscence of artifacts, immediately I changed from full screen to a window which filled all three of my monitors.

I've thought that my triple monitor setup is rather too much for my i7 2600k (maybe an i7 3770k?) or maybe too much for my GTX 570 (maybe a GTX 680?), and am puzzled at the loading of the 570 at the time the artifacts appeared.

Sorry about this long post, but I hope my experience might help some other struggling DX10'er like myself.

Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

There's no reason for the 570 not handling the three monitors without artifacting, Jim - except for overload!

I remember the post - but I always thought you were talking about AA issues!!

FYI - I can produce those great big spikes and triagles by simply moving my road traffic up to anywhere over 70, though it could be related to plain lack of cooling airflow over the gpu in your case. In answer to the temps question - 76 is not too high, and is well within the spec for the card, and there being lots of info on the interweebs:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1094250/gtx-570-temperatures/10

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1423622&mpage=1

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1086389&mpage=1

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/310623-33-temperature

The i7 2600K, depending upon the o/c, can push all the data - and more - that the 570 can take, so yes - a more powerful gpu could be utilized for more performance.

Hope this helps.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for the links. Lots of info I couldn't find for myself.

The spikes then, are not necessarily temperature related? I've downloaded EVGA Precision, and set a new fan speed curve. I'll report on the difference if any.

My 2600k is set at 4.8GHZ. I'd be interested in a "minor" upgrade: i.e. one that doesn't mean starting with a new motherboard, if it would result in a marked improvement. I built a new, less powerful computer to support my FSX one last Spring. It is expected to run FSC, PlanG, etc. only, as far as FSX is concerned.

If something like a GTX 680 would be a real boost, I'd try for one in the New Year, when bargains can sometimes be had in the UK. For that I'd need some advice on what one to pick! I had an email from Overclockers, featuring a 680 with 4GB of memory!

I've experimented with my settings to get where I am. I'm using the "Low" Inspector settings, and I'm going to try a link to Dropbox, so that you can see what FSX settings I'm using right now. I'd value your opinion on the best way forward.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ur48657ynhqgai2/sFR661Cv6k

Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Well a 680 would certainly put a different face on the issue, wouldn't it, but I wouldn't count on any New Years bargains!

Of course - a pair of 580's might work better - using Nvidia Surround, while enabling a sale of the TH2Go to someone who can use it with 3 x 19" monitors! - and you coming out smelling like a rose! :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi again, Paul,

Is there a proposition in there somewhere? :wink:

I did some more quick testing:

At Seattle, I get spikes with 99% load and 77C. If I reduce Scenery Compexity to Very Dense, and Autogen Density to Dense, then the spikes make only a split second appearance in full screen, and not at all in a window. Load goes down to 70%. All this at around 30fps. It would appear that while I'm pleased to reduce the temperature, it's the GPU load that produces the spikes.

At Melbourne and London City, with SC back up to Extremely, and AG to Very Dense, all is smooth as silk, fps around 30 at Melbourne, and around 24 at worst in London.

Of course I'm not exactly fixated on Seattle, nice though it is! In practice I would very rarely go there. The fact is, I would like a little more headroom for the less important features, but nice - Traffic, AI, and of course, complex aircraft.

Regards, Jim

:LMAO: How many million pixels @32-bit color depth? :LMAO:

Truthfully, Jim - it is possible to get more, but it's also more work. In reading back over history behind Mark Wolpert's very recent post "Will this work in DX10" - or something like that - I've been digging and writing and testing, and although it has it's roots in FS9 - yes - it does indeed work for FSX - DX10. I don't think I'm really ready to fully publish another condensed "How-To" just yet (the kettle's still boiling) - but you can pm me if you like - I can certainly share the gist of it, and the tool usage.

All the Best,

pj