Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WebMaximus

I need some help...how to reset default FSX textures...?

I've been using both REX and AS 2012 textures but I just switched to OpusFSX instead and now I would like to start "fresh" when it comes to all textures by restoring all default FSX textures before I decide what textures to use in the end with OpusFSX.

I have a backup copy of a fresh FSX SP2 installation including the texture folder and I was thinking of simply delete all the files in my current FSX texture folder and then copy all files from the fresh backup copy of the FSX texture folder but I'm afraid maybe that will also get rid of some added/modified textures not related to REX and AS 2012.

Part from REX and AS 2012 other "texture-related" addons I'm also using are UTX, GEX, (FS Genesis mesh but nothing to do with textures as I understand it?) and lots of addon airports mostly from Aerosoft but also from some other vendors but these kind of "local" addons for a specific airport are not likely to add stuff to the general FSX texture folder are they?

Would really appreciate some input what would be the most simple way to start fresh with FSX default textures without breaking anything or end up in a situation where I'm forced to perform a total re-installation of FSX.

Richard Åsberg
Beta tester for FS2Crew and HiFi Simulation Technologies

I think you will have to restore the default textures from the GEX backup. GEX replaces all of your default textures so, if the optional backup was made of those when you first installed GEX, you can simply go into GEX and restore the backup (or use that backup you have of FSX/SP2). REX is in your Scenery Library (as I understand it) and you can simply disable it temporarily. UTX is also in the Scenery Library and can be temporarily disabled. You shouldn't have to worry about AS2012 changing any textures once you restore the default textures unless you ask it to load textures for your flight. You can then test Opus. I think you would be unwise to get rid of the GEX textures though as they are better than the default and better optimized for loading into FSX.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim for your answer!

Maybe I was a bit unclear but my intention was not to get rid of all textures modified since FSX default but only the textures installed/modified by AS 2012 and REX since I was a bit uncertain what textures I would end up using together with OpusFSX. My plan like I wrote would have been to first delete all textures and copy the default FSX textures back into the Texture folder from my clean FSX SP2 backup and then reinstall all textures I do want to keep like all the textures installed by GEX, UTX etc and then in the end the cloud textures I decide to use.

However after spending hours trying to find some good REX textures for clouds I decided to stick with the AS 2012 textures since I've found all REX textures too look like in a comic book or a cartoon and since I've been using AS 2012 textures up until now I don't feel the urge anymore to "clean" my texture folder since I'll be using the same textures.

Thanks again though for your answer Jim and happy flying !!

Richard Åsberg
Beta tester for FS2Crew and HiFi Simulation Technologies

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

17%
    $4,475.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now