Sign in to follow this  
bivanov

Opus static themes... help?

Just bought Opusfsx yesterday so I'm fairly new to it, so please forgive me if this is a newbie question.

First of all I'm very, VERY satisfied with the product, it blows other WX engines out of the water. I love how I can look out my window at the weather outside then load dynamic weather in FSX and boom, there it is, almost perfectly modeled.

Now the only thing that I'm slightly confused about is the static themes. I'm trying to set up a saved flight to practice low visibility ILS in thick fog. I loaded up the "fogged in" theme, and I'm using REXe+ clouds. The top of the fog looks great, but as I descend through it (around 2.5k) the ground pops out and I can see the runway perfectly. Then as I pass around 1k the ground fog comes back and I get a wonderful .25mile visibility all the way down to the runway.

Is the weird "window" of clear visibility a bug with Opus or does it have to do with the rex clouds? Also, more broadly, is there a way to tweak the static themes to increase and decrease visibility, mist, haze, cloud coverage, rain, etc the way you can inside of the FSX WX engine?

I love the dynamic weather in Opus but I'd like to be able to set up different scenarios and practice some approaches.

If I'm repeating a previously covered topic please link it, thanks.

That is a standard FSX theme so it isn't anything to do with us. What you can do is create your own METAR in a text file and import that. Also you can go to somewhere with foggy weather, load the dynamic weather and then save that as a custom theme using the button at the bottom of the weather dialog. You can then subsequently load this static theme at any location.

Create an import text file using Notebook and try something like the following METAR entered as a single line of text,

GLOB 000000Z 18005KT 1000 OVC002 09/07 Q0997

Then set the import option locating this file and force a weather update.

This will give you 1000m surface vis and an overcast sky with 200 foot cloud base.

Stephen