Sign in to follow this  
mevaristo13

how to ifr with pmdg 747 and ATC

hi everyone.. i decided to join the forum because im seriously contemplating banging my head against a wall on this..

I've been using fsx for a while and decided to get the pmdg 747 addon. I've learned how to program the FCU and all that.. i'm ok with that. I simply want to be able to clear an IFR plan with ATC and use my programmed FCU route instead of ATC commands. how can i do this.. ?? I'm not sure of what i'm missing. I don't know how to start a FSX flight (either on a runway or gate with or without the aircraft engines on). I've watched a few youtube videos and I guess thats possible ?? I'm sure i'm missing something simple but i decided to reach out for help because I can't find the answers.

Thanks in advance.

FSX atc is rubbish.

You cant do sid/stars

Consider something like Vatsim with real controllers. I have never used it so best to find someone who does!

hey.. thanks for the reply. I will look into it. Maybe it is time to move forward into something like vatsim. I'm reading about it now.

Or just don't use FSX ATC. If you miss the handovers every 30 sec or the laugh because you get handed off to an approach controller at FL370, request flight follow from ATC.

If you want to takeoff with ATC clearance during IMC, generate a fake flightplan in FSX and cancel it as soon as you're airborne.

Regards

Hirschi

Hi,

FSX ATC, despite what has been written, is amazing, considering its age and the fact that its spoken and has worldwide availability. I use it, and I enjoy it; I also fly with IVAO for a so-called "real" experience, but this too has its pro's and con's too.

What you have asked for is perfectly possible (at least it is for the NGX, I don't have the PMDG 747, but I suspect that PMDG aircraft share the same flight plan format and data files).

Download "fpncnv213.zip" from the AVSIM library, and create an IFR flight-plan within FSX as normal, then use the converter utility (once you have unzipped and setup the paths) to convert your FSX flight-plan into the PMDG format.

Once in your aircraft, setup it up as normal, and then click on the "company route" button in the FMC to select PMDG formatted flight-plans in order to load the FSX flight into your FMC. You'll need to setup runways and performance etc, but once you're ready, obtain FSX ATC IFR clearance and go-fly!

FSX should route you exactly as per your plan; remember that you can also add, delete, and create waypoints in the FSX plan planner (drag'n'drop the line around). Also, should FSX direct you to contact a centre, you can opt not to speak to that centre simply by acknowledging the handover and then not changing frequency which means that you can leave FSX unattended for long haul flights; when you want to rejoin the flight and resume ATC, just change frequency, and contact the then current ATC centre who will be ready for you.

You can still fly SID's/STAR's, obviously without ATC, or if you select another approach, you might be offered a transition (and then probably a circle to land!). If you are VFR and using real weather, and you receive airport is closed for VFR replies, change the weather to clear, obtain clearance to land, then re-inject real weather.

I mix'n'match my RW experience and knowledge plus my considerable years of FS enjoyment to get the most from FSX ATC. It is what it is; its database is old, its routing algorithm can be frustrating (turn left, turn right, turn left, turn right etc), and it is stubborn with choices, but knowing and understanding its limitations means that it can work reasonably well for FSX pilots.

Good luck!

Fabio

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

Well this may or may not work i have never tried this but, as it rolled around in my head it made sense.

1. Generate an IFR flight plan with FSX

2. Copy the plan and paste it into Simroutes flight planning website, be sure you have No sids & No stars showing.

3. Click generate flightplan...When flightplan comes up.

4. Choose aircraft 744 with or w/out winglets.

5. To the left is a box where you change to PMDG

6. Click save flightplan.

7. Go to where you've saved the flightplan, copy and paste in into your PMDG flightplans folder...Write the flightplan down as it appeared when you saved it.

If you were flying to Hong Kong from Tokyo Japan, it would look like this...RJAAVHHH...write this down you will need it later.

8. Go to your aircraft program that..RJAAVHHH..into your FMC as Coroute, the entire flightplan will be entered into the legs page.

9. Choose your SID and runway taxi to the active, get your clearance and hit the skys IFR.

FSX will follow it's own flightplans but, won't follow flightplans generated from other planning sites it seems.

This may or may not work like i said so, don't hold me to this...I'm going to try it out my self tonight so, i'm hoping it works for my sake as well. B)