Sign in to follow this  
bradrcfii

No Approach flap speeds in TO/APPR page

This plane is a culture shock for those familar with Boeing aircraft. I have been able to fly a full flight plan without the problem I am going to describe in the following.

When I try to fly a circuit is where I have difficulties. A circuit being takeing off and executing an ILS to the same departure runway. Every thing goes well with speed, altitude and heading control. My problem is that when I review the TO/APPR page, the flaps speeds are blank leaving me to guess. I did not have this problem when flying a full route.

Any ideas whet I am going wrong?

Thanks,

Exactly how are you pre-flighting the FMS? State exactly what you are entering where (my question is deliberately open-ended).

Best regards,

Robin.

OK.

The reason I avoided posting anything is because I get this, and when it occurs, when I turn final, or abeam the first fix of the approach (when that waypoint becomes active) I get a CTD. It is 100% reproducible.

I'm intrigued - how are you pre-flighting the FMS? It would appear you do not get a CTD flying patterns using the FMS.

What do you enter (or not) into the FMS? I would be very interested to know exactly what you do and in what order, and when and where you are in the flight when you do things.

Best regards,

Robin.

I am starting with engines running after using the load manager. Concerning Flight plan INIT, I enter in this case KIAH/KIAH. I enter the departing runway via the LAT REV page, no sids.

I then enter the ILS approach via the LAT REV leaving me with three fixes on the final approach course. That typically leaves me with discontinuities that I clear so I end up with the departure runway, the three fixes and the arrival runway.

I find that the weights page is completed automatically.

I departed, the used heading to turn down wind. After passsing the furthest fix, I used DirecTo, then Nav and intercepted the final approapch course. I then select AutoLand

I am not sure what level of detail you are asking for so let me know if you need additional information.

EDIT: yes, I completed the takeoff page normally

Hmm - so in the INIT Page 1 you do NOT enter any data (e.g. cruise altitude or cost index)? Very interesting...

I shall go have a play!

Best regards,

Robin.

I get this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: FS9.EXE
Application Version: 9.1.0.40901
Application Timestamp: 4135a208
Fault Module Name: PMDG_MD11.GAU
Fault Module Version: 10.0.61355.62
Fault Module Timestamp: 49b7d862
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00126af1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

...as usual...

So...

INIT PAGE 1:

* Entered DEP and ARR airports

* Entered cruise altitude

* Entered CI

INIT PAGE 2:

* Already completed

FPLN:

* Selected takeoff runway, and arrival (ILSRW27L).

* Cleared all Discos.

TO/APPR:

* Completed TO page. Speeds computed. All good.

Went flying.

TO/APPR page was all '----' for APPR. PERF page was CRZ.

Abeam the runway, when the arrival waypoint goes active, I got a CTD (the same one as always).

Best regards,

Robin.

What do you mean by arrival waypoint and going active? Were you using a heading mode to turn downwind?

In my case, I flew down wind via heading control, turned base outside the IAF and then GOTO to the IAF.

Not to divert from this threads topic but I tried to install the multi undock panels from the PMDG download site. I then ended up with a continuous windows busy ( the flashing white circle with an arrow).

I tried a new install twice and still receive the windows busy spinning circle at all times. I can see something is going on as well by checking the frame rates which drops down to 10 sitting still on the runway.

This is a finicky plane.

PS: I am running FSX

What do you mean by arrival waypoint and going active? Were you using a heading mode to turn downwind?

In my case, I flew down wind via heading control, turned base outside the IAF and then GOTO to the IAF.

Take off, fly downwind without using any automation and see if you can land without touching anything after the takeoff roll.

Best regards,

Robin.

I would try the test for you but I can't seem to get a good install. darn circle with an arrow flashinh taking up much of the CPU cycles.

I re-installed but no go. I expected to have to register the drivers with a new install bit that did not happen. I wonder if the un install program removed the drivers?

I recovered from backup and tried your test. I had a system crash down wind abeam the IAF.

Is this what you are seeing?

I had a system crash down wind abeam the IAF.

Is this what you are seeing?

Yes - every time. I have to use the automation in order to get the system into a particular state (if you check PERF page before the crash, you will see it is still in CLB phase).

Best regards,

Robin.

I have been able to fly a circuit successfully and the Takeoff/APPR page did complete after I went direct to a fix on the approach course.

However, the sim seems very unstable flying circuits. It is hit or miss downwind. Seems it does not like when flying outside a normal route.

I am starting to like the MD11 after getting thru the learning curve. Watched it fly the Kepec arrival into LAS perfectly last night. If it were not for setting the altitude window, putting flaps and gear down, and hitting the Land button, I might not have been needed at all.

However, the sim seems very unstable flying circuits. It is hit or miss downwind. Seems it does not like when flying outside a normal route.

There are a few things you need to do to get the FMS to co-operate, but other than this, it is great.

Best regards,

Robin.