Sign in to follow this  
DarkstarF16

The joys of re-loading arghhh

Last week my Watercooled i7 monster blew up! This was all caused by the graphics card springing a leak (I kid you not) this left me without any means of flying. This was not a good place to be.

What to do? Build a new one or buy one? I opted for option 2 due to lack of time and patience in researching and mail order and sticking it all together and it all working first time out the box with no tears.

After 3 days of watching the green or blue (which was a welcome change) progress bar. A certain simulator is fully up and running now to do the easy one... Flight.

Guess what? I have just given up as my brain is progress barred out. Although I have downloaded and installed all the items I brought for flight which was a really straightforward process. I then ran it and up came flight and up came the GFWL loggin. I entered all my details and now am stuck in an endless loop because its saying my licence key is the wrong one for my profile???

So now although I can fly I can't fly Flight. I feel an email winging its way to MS

As you can imagine, I'm not very happy!!!

Patience, Brian, patience, It should all work itself out in time. In the meantime, you can take Jo to dinner and dancing. :lol:

Best regards.

Luis

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope you get everything running and the GFWL problem straightened out quickly.

Please post how this goes for you and what steps you have to take to get it cleared up. I'm sure someone else will have this problem in the future and your information could prove valuable.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Thanks guys :) and I will do both, and Luis, as I've spent a small fortune on it lol you can imagine that their will be lots of dinners, dances, handbags, shoes and may indeterminable items of good will thrust upon said wife!

I'm writing this after 5hrs sleep, its just gone 4:30 am and its difficult to sleep when your brain is whirring and you have to drive nearly 500 miles cause said wife wants to go look at a house!

I think the mistake I've made is that I downloaded and installed the free game from the Flight site which then installs GFWL. It was only after running the new install that I noticed the option of installing all previous content. Maybe the key now doesn't match because of the first installation? Just thinking out loud and preparing theory's for later trail. I'm unable to try anything till tomorrow now anyway and want to present all the facts before sending a stroppy email.

Will keep you posted.

Have spoken to 3 people from Mumbai who are Microsofts outsourced support company. I took this route as I thought it would be a shortcut. How wrong was I?

Once you get through, It all begins with an upbeat promise, well not a promise really, but an over enthusiastic statement that all your problems will be over and your issue will 100% be sorted out. If you have something that a ten year old could fix then I believe that this may be fair synopsis.

Within a short time however the house of cards tumbles and I was given either a phone number or a web address for additional support. You can google the web sites yourself. One number was unobtainable, one was the number you call when you need another software key and the last was the first number I'd called. The last chap said its the only number I have but I can fix your problem if you pay me! Yeah right. I am appalled at the level of support offered.

After another reload although I have the initial free download working (which isn't difficult) all my other content downloads and installs but cannot be accessed. In other words no planes in the hanger, no rest of Hawaii or Alaska. The key that the market place is showing that accesses your profile is still insisting that its tied to another account?

In other words, I'm no further forward and still have to send that email to MS

Had very little time to investigate this properly so will update as and when something more positive shows up.

What to do? Build a new one or buy one? I opted for option 2 due to lack of time and patience in researching and mail order and sticking it all together and it all working first time out the box with no tears.

Interesting... But I wonder what is your new system? I am looking for a good flight simming machine. Currently use my i7 Dell laptop. Works ok, but would like to have a good simming PC.

Interesting... But I wonder what is your new system? I am looking for a good flight simming machine. Currently use my i7 Dell laptop. Works ok, but would like to have a good simming PC.

It really boils down to how much you want to spend. A general rule of thumb is buy the biggest and latest PC you can afford or make one with the latest and best components. Whatever you do it will be out of date pretty much as soon as you've got it.

My last PC was a first generation I7 with an average graphics card and 6 GHz ram. It worked really well on my three screens and I was happy. So you can go a few generations back and save a fortune and still get reasonably good results.

If your planning on running some of the latest games or FSX tweaked to the max with the sliders set high then the above PC was just about good enough.

This one is an I7 3770 3.4GHz and AMD Radeon HD 7950 and 10 GHz of ram it's not over clocked and is pretty darned good. It should be at nearly the price of... Well lots.

Although I've still got to make Flight work on it I'm sure it will Fly

Hope that's helped a little, in the end it all comes down to how deep your pockets are.

My current rig is an I7-3770K (specs can be seen in my sig.) that I built a couple of months ago for a little over 1K USD by buying most everything on sale. I runs both Flight and FSX very well.

I won't buy a package put together by any of the major mfgs. as I can build my own at far less cost and get exactly what I want.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals