Hello,

Sometimes, while browsing these fora, I need to save some snippets of useful answers (it may be a code fragment, picture, text, link, anything) for the future quick reference (IPB search is a PITA).

The easiest way to keep such a collection for me (and I guess for the other community members) would be using this very forum software (IPB). For instance I would like be able to collect at least Bookmarks to the interesting posts. And yes, I don't need or want to subscribe (and thus follow with notifications) to the whole (lengthy) Topic, even though I might be interested just in the couple of useful Posts within such topic.

As far as I know, IPB is capable to provide its users with this kind of service. For example, in my Control Panel I can see:

* Pages;

* Blogs;

* Gallery;

* Links Directory

Nothing of this, unfortunately, is available me. Is there any other convenient way to do notes here?

/Thank you!

I'm not sure if a "notes" feature exists, per say, but those other features you mention are only available when you actually contribute to them. For instance, you only see stuff in gallery, if you are assigned a gallery. Or the links directory you only see stuff if you contributed links to it. It just gives you a summary of your clicks and what not.

I might just suggest a running Microsoft Word .doc file with the posts you like? Would be way more graphically friendly over a text only note pad style app on the forum.

Hello Chase, thanks for the response!

I'm not sure if a "notes" feature exists, per say, but those other features you mention are only available when you actually contribute to them.

The issue is, there is no user interface controls to contribute or (at least I can't see them). For instance, as per this forums manual:

Creating a Blog

You may be able to create your own blog within the community. To do so, visit the "Blogs" tab in your settings panel. Under "Your Blog Settings" you will see your current blog if you have one. If you can create a blog, you will also see a section titled "Create a Blog"

It appears I can't. The same story is about the rest of user generated content (links, gallery).

I might just suggest a running Microsoft Word .doc file with the posts you like? Would be way more graphically friendly over a text only note pad style app on the forum.

MS Word is not free (in all meanings), secondly the file(s) have to be stored somewhere. I would rather trust this content to AvSim.net and have stored it here instead of my local HDD (which may go AWOL).

I can see there are 'Vote' buttons for each post. Can I see the history of my Up votes (as we can see the history of Likes on FB)? This would be a huge help -- sort of instant bookmarking of interesting and useful posts.

Thank you!

Actually, now that you mention it, whenever you up-vote something, it will save it under Reputation (left column) in the My Profile page. Blogs are only created by staff at this time which explains why you can't create one yet. As for links, the way to contribute to that is to visit the actual application on the forum through the tabs on top (Features > Simming Links). Hope that helps!

I am not sure why AVSIM would have to store your notes with all the available (6 bazillion alternatives at last count)... :lol:

With all the cloud apps now available, you could very easily copy and paste and not have to store them on your hard drive, keep our space consumption free of your notes, and do with your notes and the mechanics of storing them as you please (instead of some app that we could use that would probably not do all that everyone would like it to do).