Sign in to follow this  
lorenzoj

New FSX Install Issues

Just made the leap and spent the 30.00 on the MAAM-SIM R4D/DC-3/C-47 add-on for Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX. I downloaded and ran the install on my FSX installation. Really looking forward to flying this model for my DC-3 Airways flights. ( Had already downloaded the zip with the DCA skins in anticipation)

Couple of initial hiccups appeared. Except for the four 50819 models all of the other models have a gray blanked out altimeter area in the VC panel.

Also the view out of the 2D panel is always up. Even in level flight, nothing but sky. Even in the model on floats you are looking straight ahead in the VC panel as you would expect and still up at the sky in the 2D panel.

And what is that oddly shaped blacked out area in the Radar Altimeter gauge. Even though this is a port from older FS versions it seemed that MAAM had it tested and proven on FSX installs.

A bit dissapointing so far I must say. Hopefully fixable with help from you guys.

And what is that oddly shaped blacked out area in the Radar Altimeter gauge.

I was wondering about that myself. If you look at the panel for the default Grumman Goose, it has a similar gauge. It looks like the MAAM version is missing a texture that should cover the black spot. The raw gauge graphics for the Goose have a similar blacked out area. Either the texture is missing or the config files are using the wrong name.

You may be able to replace the MAAM gauge with the Goose one.

The view out the front with the 2D panels is mentioned in the documentation, but there doesn't seem to be a really good fix. The "shift-enter" fix only works in virtual cockpit, far as I can tell.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I too had the problem with the lack of altimeters, this is obviously a fault in the program. See the post about lack of instruments to learn how to fix this. I think the FSX download of the R4D should be withdrawn until this is fixed.

I wanted to support the great work at MAAM but thought I would get a fully functioning DC-3 model as the download pack was listed as requiring no furthur updates for FSX.

I will probably install the 2D / VC panel pack from Norm Hancock for now. I'm betting it works very nicely. As it is now,the stock 2D panel is just another IFR panel.

The routine for removing the yoke in the VC views model by model is a bit tedious but does work at least.

Since the four 50819 models have the altimeter in the VC panel you would think a fix would already have been applied to the other included models

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll let you know how the Norm Hancock panels work out.

I have the TripleHeadtoGo hardware across 3 monitors. Does anyone know if there is a 2d panel that is a widescreen version, because you still need some of the 2d panel stuff. Also, my original CD version with the fsx upgrade is lacking the Virtual Cockpit clickable switches etc. unless the FSX download version has been uipdated?!

Bruce

Bruce Wood

I am a much happier guy at the moment cause I downloaded and installed Norm Hancock's wonderful 2D panels and matching 3D Virtual Cockpits into the MAAM DC-3 / C-47 models. They both look and function great. And you can actually see something in level flight out the 2D panel windscreen. You still feel like you are flying vintage but with some early timeframe upgrades. A 2 pointer ADF and 2 VOR's. You have your choice of an earlier Gyro Compass panel or one a bit more modern with an HSI. Lots of other really usefull details also.

He has even included a great set of popup timers and gauges and a really slick popup E6B slide computer, front and back.

Check them out at http://www.dc3airway...maam_panels.htm

The install is detailed but easy to follow. My system won't let me edit and save the aircraft config file in the FSX directory so I just move it to the desktop to edit and save then copy it back to the same Aircraft directory. Works for me.

Now I really don't understand why MAAM couldn't at least include fully functioning panels with their FSX download.

Norm Hancock's wonderful 2D panels and matching 3D Virtual Cockpits

Does the virtual cockpit give us clickable switches that are missing in the original version? I prefer to do everything from the VC when possible.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Norm's panels ( both 2D and VC ) are a hugh improvement in looks and function over the stock MAAM panels. You can now control the radios and nav intruments from the main virtual cockpit panel. But you still need the popups for lights, throttle quadrant, etc. The link above will allow you to access several good photos of the installed 2D and Virtual Cockpit panels. Check them out.

I checked out the link. There's one daytime shot of the virtual cockpit, and another night shot. It's not obvious if the switches work.

For example, can you go through the start sequence completely using just the virtual cockpit?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Bottom of that page there is a link to another page of photos showing both 2d and vc panels day and night.

As I said before, you do need the popups for anything not shown on the main panel in the virtual cockpit. You cannot control the overhead switches etc just from the VC view. Still a big improvement over the MAAM panels for now if you want to use the MAAM models

you do need the popups for anything not shown on the main panel in the virtual cockpit

Thanks. Considering the only pics of the virtual cockpit are on the second page, I think I found them. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins