Sign in to follow this  
KingGhidorah

How are people handling Turbulence these days?

It is well known over the years that complex aircraft, such as Pmdg have problems with wind shifts and turbulence, in some cases resulting in uncommanded turns. There have been many recommended ways around this, such as in this excerpt from the Active Sky 2012 manual:

FSUIPC.ini settings:

TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5

TurbulenceDivisor=40,40,80,80

FSX.cfg settings:

[Weather]

TurbulenceScale=0.50000

FSX Settings:

Disable All Turbulence Effects on Aircraft - Checked (Weather Settings)

The problem is, as time wore on through who knows how many updates to various programs, I really don't know what the optimal way to go about configuring things anymore is. I'm almost ready to purchase AccuFeel2, but I am already anticipating that it won't work as advertised because my system is set up to work with aircraft such as PMDG. I always had problems finding the optimal solution, so In my case, I use Active Sky DWC, I have Turbulence enabled in FSX, but Turbulence/Gusts/Variance disabled in FSUIPC!!! I seem to still get bumped around, but honestly, I don't know if I'm actually getting gusts or turbulence or what--all I know is that my NGX doesn't snake around anymore.

So what do people think is the best way to avoid uncommanded turning behavior with complex airplanes, yet still be able to take advantage of new turbulence features in a Accufeel2 with a plane like the NGX? I am curious to hear how people are handling the wind shift and S-turn problem these days. Does every possible solution involve disabling turbulence in some form or another? Again, I'm using AS2012, FSUIPC, and possibly, if turbulence functionality proves workable with the kind of payware planes I wish to fly, Acufeel2, in the future.

I dont really notice any turbulence in fsx. You can turn up your weather as severe as it can get in AS2012 or what ever weather program your running, but your aircraft is just going to stay on Autopilot and fly through it.

Turbulence in AS2012 is good, and very noticable. I'm flying A320 often and passengers in FSPax are quite often scared by strong turbulences. :)

I kept these settings:

[Weather]

TurbulenceScale=0.80000

FSUIPC.ini settings:

TurbulenceRate=0.5,2.5

TurbulenceDivisor=40,40,80,80

Disable All Turbulence Effects on Aircraft - Unchecked (Weather Settings)

Wind turbulence at 50% in AS21012.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

So looking at your settings, the only change from default is that you have slightly reduced the Turb Scalar in FSX.cfg by a tiny amount. Can I conclude that for all practical purposes, all we need to do these days with AS2012 is use DWC, and then we basically won't get the S-turns with complex aircraft such as PMDG (ngx, 747, md-11) or Lvl-d? No need for anything special in FSUIPC.ini or anything? Is that a true statement?

So nobody is doing anything special in Fsuipc and/or AS2012 anymore to handle turbulence and wind shifts when flying the heavy, complex planes? I'm actually looking for more responses to this topic in order to determine the best way to configure my system either with what I have, or else, how to proceed with other addons (such as Opus, or Accfeel2).

From what i know, there is no need to tune anything anymore, it has been fixed in FSUIPC and AS2012 default values. I have turbulence enabled in fsx, and i like how it feels right now. I use Maddog, NGX and PMDG MD11 most of time, no problems at all. I thing you must use DWC mode in AS2012

Thanks, I guess I'll tentatively turn off any "weather suppresion" in FSUIPC (gusts, wind variance, turbulence) and see how it goes. Pleased to hear that your md-11 isn't S-turning in your experience, because that was the absolute worst when it came to so-called turbulence sensitivity. Man, I'm sick of always having to fool around with stuff like this!

I saw heavy S-Turns few days ago when I flew BN2 Islander with AS2012 active, but with wind turbulence at 100% in AS2012. Changed it to 50% and it's ok now, I guess.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.