Sign in to follow this  

The use of TOPCAT

Just wanted to add that TOPCAT replicates the onboard laptop software that flight crew use for there take off and landing data. when I first saw TOPCAT the layout and feel of the software was exactly the same as the one I was used to seeing.

Interesting! I think I will have another look at the TOPCAT-manual...

Regarding using PMDG FMC calculations, 99% of the time it is wrong, it doesn't take into account obstacle limits or minimum single engine performance based on surrounding terrain.

While this is one of the great features in TOPCAT, it's good to remember that the TOPCAT database/navdata is quite old and at the moment it can't be updated.

Like you mentioned, I have seen many crews using products similar to TOPCAT on their laptops, when watching Just Planes videos.

I can't remember what video it was, but during taxi, the crew were informed that the takeoff runway has been changed. After that, the first officer took out his laptop and started "crushing numbers".

EDIT: Accidentally hit submit while still typing

Edited by jpuustinen

I'm trying to find a good fuel planner that tells me how much fuel to add for a flight. I believe Topcat only tells you about takeoffs and landings, not cruise fuel usage? And I know Topcat works with AS but does it work with REX?

FSBuild builds flight plan and fuel plan at the same time, taking into account the winds from Activesky2012

If its just fuel only that you want, there are a few web fuel planners out there like http://fuelplanner.com/