Sign in to follow this  
rvk52

Idiot need some help please re sloping terrain

Hi Folks,

I can't seem to find anything that I can understand regarding sloping scenery. I have a scenery (Eiresim Shannon) which is at the correct altitude but is slight too high for the mesh and therefore sits on a plateau.

How do I make a sloping flatten to make this more easy on the eye?

Is it a case of making a surround or does it start from the centre of the airfield?

Thanks Ron

Is this for FS9 or FSX? In any case airports are flat. There is an airport background polygon that represents the flat area of the airport and this should be at the airport reference altitude. If this is on a plateau or in a hole against the mesh then you have the choice of changing the airport and background poly altitude to better match the mesh or create sloped polys from the airport background poly to merge with the mesh.

HI Jon,

Thanks, I should have been a little clearer. Its for FSX. The background polygon is confirmed at the airfield reference height. The problem I want to sort out is that this then rests 20ft or so above the mesh scenery in the area for a large portion of the airfield boundary thereby showing cliff type borders rather than a smoother slope which is what I would prefer. I'm willing to give it a go if someone can point me in the right direction but the only bits I can find refer to sloping runways. I'm assuming that I might need to build terrain round these cliffs edges but I need to confirm that and also how does one blend it in with the airfield polygon (trial and error I think?).

I have both Sbuilder and ADE (with prokey) to use.

Cheers Ron

I think the trick is to make a series of triangular polys that start at the airport boundary and go out to blend with the mesh. I know that George Davison has done a lot of this sort of thing. I believe he has posted about it over at FSDeveloper.com. His username there is Golf-HotelDelta. If he posts here I think it is as GHD.

Shannon is a little tricky being so near the coast.

In fact I lowered the airport and created a set of flatten polygons:

shannonn.jpg

Thank you Jon and George,

That points me in the right direction to give it a go.

Cheers Ron

If you have SBX, you can have one flatten and change the height of every point but that can create glitches like a crease in a sheet of paper. I find it is better to have one flatten for your runway area then create others around it with runway height at one end and scenery height at the other. This will blend your contours nicely. Don't forget to subtract the height of your aircraft. Rick Piper's chipmunk is 1.5m and croshairs plus is at ground level.

Alan