Sign in to follow this  
ideoplastic

HCMM - Mogadishu

A couples of days ago I did a flight from FACT to HCMM. There is a very nice freeware scenery for HCMM, however when it came to load the FMC

using Navigraph data, it was not avilable; likewise with the weather and Jeppessen charts.

In the end I managed to manually add the data for this airport to the various files in the navdata folder. Question is why is there no data, charts and

weather for this airport. Isn't this Somalia's capital airport?

Thanks

Somalia is a failed state without a functioning government. When we (the US military) went in there in the 1990s, we had to bring our own field-deployable navaids, generators, fuel bladders and trucks...well, pretty much everything. We also had to have our airspace guys build custom procedures for the international coalition that was flying into there at the time. I doubt they have anyone in the country that can produce nav charts that comply with ICAO TERPS standards, and the place is such a mess that I doubt any third-party has enough of a continuing interest to fund development and maintenance of internationally-approved procedures.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi,

Well, Somalia still is in deep trouble although much has changed since the war time of the early 1990s. The Mogadishu airport presently is managed by Skylink Arabia (SKA) on behalf of the Somali ministry of transportation. The Turkish government is pumping money into Somalia - especially into Mogadishu. Based on Turkish money there now is a full airport security system established - from guards to x-ray machines and fences. In November 2011 an APAPI system was implemented by the UN which is in use. Up to now there are no further navigational approach aids available. The latest available pieces of Somali AIP are from 1981 to 1986 - which definetely are way outdated. However: Turkish Airlines is flying from Instanbul to Mogadishu several times a week - even using Airbus A340!

Concerning the Navigraph data there is a sad story behind it:

http://forum.navigra...?g=posts&t=3325

This is why I moved over to Aerosoft NavDataPro - it contains all HCMM data.

However: I received an e-mail by Navigraph after posting the last thread (see link above) informing me about an ongoing beta test of a new software and new data source for Navigraph. I will not participate in this test since they want me to pay for testing their software (30% discount for FMS data in January only as an appreciation of participation in their beta test).

Additionally to the Mogadishu X3 scenery you'll also find an FMS data fix for Navigraph to make use of HCMM again:

http://www.bleedair....dishu-x/76.html

Regards,

Marc Westhofen

Mogadishu_X3_Logo.jpg

I received a mail by Navigraph as a reaction on my last thread (see above) which further explaines the beta testing. This brought to light that I misunderstood the terms of testing and I therefore want to point out that the selected users who are invited to participate in the beta testing DO NOT HAVE TO PAY for that.

I admit to be disappointed looking back at the past 7 months of Navigraph's customer support that I requested for but I do not intend to be unfair by deviating from facts. I apologize for doing so in my last thread.

However: It is a proven fact that HCMM FMS data was missing in the Navigraph data base (verified for PMDG data set) since AIRAC cycle 1205. I did not check if it is contained in Navigraph's 1301 cycle because I moved over to Aerosoft's NavDatPro which comes with all HCMM data.

Regards,

Marc Westhofen

This is why I moved over to Aerosoft NavDataPro - it contains all HCMM data.

Are you sure about that?

I have NavDataPro, with datasets for 6-7 aircraft. I did a filename search within my FSX directory for *HCMM*. And not one single file was found.

If the data existed, I assume several files would have been found (usually in the sidstars subdirectory of each aircraft).

PS: In fact, that is the reason I did not install your HCMM scenery last night (when I was about to). I can't go there, with no charts and no procedures.

There is no way to know even the runway length, and whether or not there are displaced thresholds.

Didn't know such a good scenery exists for Mogadishu, installing it soon. I think I will be doing some charter flights there.

Sorry for delay in thanking you all for the very extensive explanations and replies. - Obviously something out of our hands, unless Aerosoft confirms that they have included HCMM in their navdata.

When I did the flight recently I edited the navdata with the info from the bleedair website and did a visual landing.

Warmest regards

I did a search in the NavDataPro PMDG dataset in the airports file (wpNavAPT.txt).

There are two entries about HCMM. I am not very sure about the deciphering of all the numbers, but I can see the two runways, 05 and 23, their two exact headings, their lengths (in feet) (I do not know if it is total length or LDA), and two elevations (I imagine they should be threshold elevations), and two sets of LAT-LONG coordinates (presumably the thresholds - but I am not sure).

Hi,

Yes I am very sure. I have the NavDataPro AIRAC cycle 1301 installed. I use the data set for PMDG and AivlaSoft's EFB. Since I performed more than 50 test flights during for testing the scenery development stages I can assure that it is really there (all tests with PMDG B744).

A chart for the airport comes with the scenery and is also available on my website. To immediately display the ground chart you may click here: HCMM Chart

In real world there presently is no current AIP of Somalia but THY for example is flying to HCMM three times a week.

Flying to central or East African destinations is something different from flying in Europe, America or Australia. The infra structure is poor if even existing. SIDs and STARs are not defined, ILS - what is this?. But this is what makes flying there insteresting: Good pilot skills are required! The scenery comes with the real world APAPI. Landing is a real manual thing!

As an alternative method - if FMS data is missing - it can be added manually following this easy instruction (PMDG):

HCMM FMS data fix instruction

But again: NavDataPro (AIRAC cycle 1301) does contain the correct HCMM data. If you look for files - please be aware that runway data only is existing - just like in real world. There are no SIDs and STARs.

The runway looks like the real world one. You miss a taxiline or certain markers - yes - simply because they are not there in real world. Please do not hesitate to compare the latest real world google earth photo with the scenery screen shots above the airport data section: HCMM Airport Facts

Regards,

Marc Westhofen

Are you sure about that?