Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

Freeware Aircraft- IL18

Hi all,

I'm not sure that I am posting this in the right place so my apologies if it's not!

I've recently been browsing the net looking for good quality freeware aircraft to fill gaps in my hanger that the payware people haven't got round to filling yet!

One aircraft struck me as being unusual, and that was the Ilyushin Il18. Mmmmm I thought I haven't got any Russian aircraft. Now I know that various people have made some nice models of this aircraft, mainly for FS9 though, but some are stating that it works for FSX too. One or two even saying it has a working Virtual Cockpit, woohoo I thought that's for me!!!!! Most of my flying I do solely from the VC.

So I downloaded one or two IL18's. One turned out not to have a VC although to be fair the systems modelling was very in depth, great I thought, maybe the other one I downloaded with a VC based on the same model will be as good. Might even have the same in depth systems working from the VC!..............I recall the comment on the download saying it was tested in FSX with SP2, which is what I am using. However every time I start FSX with this aircraft it's fine until I click the first button or switch in the cockpit then I get the "FSX has encountered a fatal error and will now close" comment.

I realise the IL18 isn't available from the AVsim's library but I'm wondering if anybody else has either downloaded a version that does work as it says in the "tin" or altered a version somehow to work in FSX and the Virtual cockpit in particularly properly, Or maybe can shed some light on what causes the "fatal error".

Looking forward to any comments,

Happy Flying,

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Hello Dave,

Same here, it crashes FSX immediately when I touch the battery switch. I've tried different downloads from different sources, but unfortunately with the same results.

I've flown it's original version in the good old FS9 days without any problems, and it was one of my finest freeware aircraft.

I really miss it from FSX.

Tamas

Hi Tamas,

Oh I'm glad you had the same trouble, well I mean I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I found one Il18 which worked fine, even all the systems, but no 3d cockpit, which makes it difficult to fly with TrackIR. The other if I started with another aircraft say an Electra then changed to the Il18 was ok but the Artificial Horizon wouldn't work! It's a shame about these problems as the exterior model and the sounds are really wonderful.

Maybe someone reading this will take up the challenge and produce a really nice FSX version.

Thanks for the reply,

Happy flying,

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Well I am thinking of reinstalling FS2004 for the russian addons only... :)

They have tons of really amazing aircraft and scenery addons for FS2004 ONLY. And most of them for free...

If you want to fly in the Western World you can use FSX with your NGX in your ORBX sceneries, etc, for Russia and CIS countries you can use FS9 with these beautiful addon from Avsimrus, Project Tupolev and others. You can even purchase paywares like Igor Suprunov's Yak-40 which is one of my all times favourite.

So the "Iron Curtain" still exist, but now between FS2004 and FSX! :)))

Tamas

You're totally right, Tamas, and it's a pitty! The only really good Russian aircraft that works in FSX yet is the ProTu Ty-154, and there's also not that much of quality sceneries out there for FSX, though some are really great (e.g. UKBB or UUEE, which I think are both available at Avsimrus), and maybe the fact that two different developers are working on an "Colt" (AH-2) for FSX is a good sign.

Flo