Sign in to follow this  
BilboBaggins

Tempted by ORBX

So here's my dilemma:

PNW sounds appealing, sounds like it will run with the right settings on my Core2Duo system (Autogen:Normal. I have read the PDF).

What I cannot find a quick Goigle answer to:

1. Does it overwrite default FSX files, or just install into add-on folder and can then be enabled/disabled via FTX Central? I want to go back to defaults if there are any oddities re: airport locations, VOR info, etc.

2. Can I reasonably combine it with OpusFX and FEX for weather/clouds without bringing my system to its knees?

3. Can I run it and (for my ancient PC) a heavier weight payware plane like the PMDG 737 or Carenado SR-22, if I'm willing to tune and sacrifice various high-performance things, or does it lock me into overly burdensome areas such planes will no longer be able to go (on my system)?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

So here's my dilemma:

PNW sounds appealing, sounds like it will run with the right settings on my Core2Duo system (Autogen:Normal. I have read the PDF).

What I cannot find a quick Goigle answer to:

1. Does it overwrite default FSX files, or just install into add-on folder and can then be enabled/disabled via FTX Central? I want to go back to defaults if there are any oddities re: airport locations, VOR info, etc.

2. Can I reasonably combine it with OpusFX and FEX for weather/clouds without bringing my system to its knees?

3. Can I run it and (for my ancient PC) a heavier weight payware plane like the PMDG 737 or Carenado SR-22, if I'm willing to tune and sacrifice various high-performance things, or does it lock me into overly burdensome areas such planes will no longer be able to go (on my system)?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

1. Within your main FSX folder an ORBX folder will be created containing all of the necessary files etc. As you mentioned to apply PNW or return to FSX Default it is just a case of doing so via FTX Central.

2. The ORBX scenery (to my experience) is compatible with both. I use REX and know others that use OPUS without problems. As for your system, that'll probably come down to your main settings within the Sim/Opus/FEX etc.

3. Personally I'm not too sure about this one, although from what I understand the PMDG737 is quite heavy on lower spec systems (someone correct me if I'm wrong! ) But like you say, hopefully you could sacrifice some settings for others.

I'm sure ORBX still have a demo of PNW on their main site; check that out and see how you find it handles perhaps?

Hope that's helped a little,

Regards,

Alenia1 B)

Thank you Alenia, those are all encouraging answers. :)

I pretty much use the PMDG on my system with performance-heavy stuff turned down, and it works fine.

As long as the scenery add-ons don't take away my ability to tune the system, (including going back to default FSX scenery around KSEA, say, if I want to be doing Seattle--> Vancouver runs in the 737), I'm definitely willing to take the chance.

No problem at all,

ORBX is great in the sense that the various 'flows' that they include can all be turned on or off to your liking. As well as that you've (apart from certain settings) still got full control over the FSX scenery settings. Within the products manuals the guys at ORBX have even been kind enough to include various scenery settings based on different systems, well a guide at least. Nevertheless you should have little trouble finding the right balance.

Hope it all works out in the end!

B)

I'm always willing to support great independent software development, and have the patience of an ox, so this should be fun!