Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

Should I install FS Global 2010?

Guest Mik75

Hi guys!

I have my new PC for 2 months now (i5 3570K @ 4.4 GHz, 16 GB RAM CL9, GTX 670 2 GB and a 480 GB SSD for Win 7 64 bit and FSX).

So far, everything I need is installed, tweaked and is running nicely. I left much addons uninstalled since I rarely used them on my old system. Plus, I want to keep everything clean and organised. Right now, with the must have addons like the PMDG T7, the FSL A320, the Majestic Q400 and some nice airports sceneries to come, I have 215 GB free space on my SSD. Loading and booting times within FSX are a dream.

There is one add on left of which I am not sure what to do. It is FS Global 2010. I had it installed in FS9 and I really liked it, although the install itself took ages, the loading times increased dramatically and the performance might have dropped a bit. So, what do you think? How will my system handle the amount of data? Will FS Global cause longer loading times, will it have an impact on my performance and, generally spoken, do you think it is worth the disk space needed for install?

Thanks for your opinions and help in advance!

Personally I never fly without a decent mesh add on. So it goes without saying that I would install that or FSGenesis.

My system is much lower spec than yours and it is fine, even so I would rather have a longer load time than default terrain.

G

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk. Typing errors expected....

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Guest Mik75

I should mention, that I have addons installed for the regions I fly the most. VFR Germany, Switzerland Pro and Austria Professional all contain a high resolution mesh.

But the other parts of the Alps and France, Spain, Portugal, the UK and Scandinavia are other countries where I spend pretty much time flying.

In that case I would install, if just for the rest of the Alps.

Can you do a part install and just have the region you fly?

G

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk. Typing errors expected....

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Guest Mik75

I don't know, I'll take a look. But I don't think so...

P.S.: No partial install possible. So it's 25 GB (6 double layer DVDs) that have to be installed!

I don't think it will affect load times much. I have my FSX on a SSD as well and I installed FS Global Ultimate Europe and Africa, taking the option to install to another normal drive to save space. I haven't noticed any longer loading times even with the much slower drive.

The only thing I notice are elevation "pops" with it. Unless you are going to purchase something newer I would install it.

supporter.jpg

Guest Mik75
The only thing I notice are elevation "pops" with it. Unless you are going to purchase something newer I would install it.

That's right, but I think that might be the case with every high resolution mesh product. I notice that over Switzerland Pro from time to time too!

What do you mean with something newer? The Global Ultimate series?

The mesh is fine from FSGlobal, just make sure you have lots of time to install it. It will take you hours depending on what and how much you buy. I've got the whole series and if you install and defrag after, your looking at taking a LONG time. Went back to FSGenesis because the quality of mesh is the same, IMO, but it takes a lot less time to install it.

JH

Guest Mik75

I know, that's really a downside! On my old system, it took 8 hrs to get it on my HDD, and thereafter I ran the defragmentation for another 4 hrs or so... At least that part would be obsolete with my SSD now!

That's right, but I think that might be the case with every high resolution mesh product. I notice that over Switzerland Pro from time to time too!

What do you mean with something newer? The Global Ultimate series?

Yes, Global Ultimate. I think he is using a different more accurate source. The shuttle data that he used for 2010 is a big improvement over vanilla FSX. I think he has better data for Africa and Asia in the most recent version. I know PC aviator has it.

Installation is a day long project!

supporter.jpg