Sign in to follow this  
Anthony25368

Fps loss

I've been unhappy with my performance results recently and have been trying to figure out what to do about fps fluctuations. I have setup fsx as per most tweaking guides. This morning I noticed that flying in the middle of the USA no fps drops, but when I approached the coast and the ocean became visible my frame rates started going down. I use rex textures and have water set at 2x high not maxed. I then lowered my setting for water and my frames improved. Ok I like the detailed water so I don't know if there is anything I can do to keep it that way and not lose my framerate. Thanks for the help.

Anthony

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

Hi Anthony.

I discovered the fix for this 12 months ago, and posted about in on the REX forum.

Recently [just before his ban] Word Not Allowed noticed the same thing.

The answer, is in Nvidia Inspector, set your anisotropic filtering to "application controlled".

The frame rate drop over REX water should then be gone.

Personally, I haven't noticed much difference in scenery quality.

DXT1 helps, but dispite that, I still see a slight drop unless I set AF as mentioned above.

For a year now I have set User defined off, and the next entry down is okay at 16x. I believe Word Not Allowed sets the same way.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15731-rex-water-frame-rate-loss-fix/page__fromsearch__1

Thank you Martin! I will give this a try. I can't stand how slow my fps is around water so you are a savior if this works.

I will let you know.

anthony

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

Thank you Martin! I will give this a try. I can't stand how slow my fps is around water so you are a savior if this works.

I will let you know.

anthony

It should work Anthony.

This was the Avsim thread on this issue.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/398172-fsx-anisotropic-filtering-testing/

Anti-aliasing plays a part too. I found that 8xSQ is was apparent, but not at lower settings.

Good luck. :smile:

If the above does not work, consider DX10 if you do not mind a few compatibility issues and experimentation, as DX10 light bloom and water have been optimized.

Thanks Martin, This really helped my fps. I appreciate the heads up.

Anthony

Anthony