Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

henri5

Pilatus PC-12 range?

I am a bit confused about the PC-12 (Flight1) range. Different sites cite the range of the aircraft as anything between 1500 nm and 2600 nm! Now Irealize that rnge can depend on load, wind, speed and altitude, but there must be a standard. The producer of the real aircraft quotes a range of 1500 nm with 3 passengers, and there is a version with 9 passengers and there is a cargo version. I have flown around the World in this aircraft and was achieving about the 2200 nm range the simulator advertises - I was probably alone, but it was over a year ago and I don't remember.

But today Iset up a flight in Ideal Flight from Quebec to Varadero about 1500 nm), and I had to stop in South Carolina for fuel after about 800nm, which is about the range Ideal Flight said. I didn't pay attention so maybe I was fully loaded. Still the difference between 800 nm and 2600 nm seems a bit extreme! Also the 9 hours IF predicted for this flight seems a bit long for a plane that flies this fast...

Henri

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

2600nm is a little off. They are usually loaded to go about 900nm. Empty they can go to 1500nm. The only thing I can think of to get to 2600 would be in kilometers.

Well it DOES matter a lot on how fast one flies. Today I flew the same distance and finished with about an hour of fuel left, but I was flying at 232 TAS at 22,000 ft with 4 passengers. Still this is still quite a bit shorter than I remember when I flew around the World. Of course during the latter I was flying mostly East, so maybe I had help from the wind.Maybe slowing down during ascent can make a significant difference too.

Henri

I don't know the different PC-12 models, but they may have different fuel tank size.

I don't know the different PC-12 models, but they may have different fuel tank size.

That is a good question. I was unable to find this information, so I assumed they were all the same.

Henri