Sign in to follow this  
richy44

Big Plasma as main monitor

Been looking for a 42" plasma 1080P but they are 300$ more than a 51" 1080P. Supply and demand :-) Can my video card run the 51"? Should I be considering anything else as well with my setup? Power supply etc??.. I plan on using my 24" Syncmaster monitor for the guages.. My GPU is GT640OC 2 GB DDR3 ram. It says it supports 4 monitors..

My other option is to go with a 37" LED 120HZ 1080P but they are almost the same price as the 51" plasma.

My initial plan was a 3 monitor setup but 3 - 51"ers would be HUGE. 37"- 42" would be preferable I think.. 3 for cockpit and the 24" for guages..

Comments???

Thanks

The size of the monitor doesn't matter, it's the resolution. 1920x1080 won't stress your card very much. With bigger monitors you'll need a higher AA and to sit a bit further back. Although not a big of a deal as it was originally, plasma's are more susceptible to "burn in" if the same image is left on-screen for too long.

I run 3 42" with no problem. Has a lot to do with your video card though. Makes the guages look so real. Awesome to see someone else on the same page I am. Cpt out.

Thanks guys, I just purchased a 47" led 1080P 120hz tv. I am going to set it up tonight and see what it looks like. If it look good I will get 2 more, if not I will hunt for a 42" plasma again. Out of 5 stores there is not a 42" plasma to be found.

rjmcgill - is your 42 plasma or led? is it 1080P?

Thanks

Well all I have to say is immersion......the resolution is not as good as my 24" but certainly more than acceptable and better than expected.. The first thing I noticed right away was the view, you see the lights, the other aircraft on approach to land etc. Didnt know how much was missing using a 24" monitor. The gauges are not quite aa clear as on my 24.

I have a couple questions that some may be able to help with.

1. My desktop speakers are silent and it appears the tv speakers have taken over.. I can set up the sound to my plantronic headset ok. When I do a sound test in the plantronic menu it comes out of the desktop speakers but noting from FS9. any comments???

2. I have the big monitor as the primary and set it so the mouse goes to the 24"ok. How do I get my gauges only to the 24" ?

3. If I get another 2- 47" tv's is it fairly easy to set up so main is looking forward and left and right are set to look out the side? My card has 4 digital outputs.. I see NO frame rate loss with the 47"and 24" running.

Thanks

I will upload a couple of pics later..

Here is a pic. The quality of the pic is not that great, poor lighting and camera man. ^_^

I guess I am not good at uploading pics either.. only 1/4 of the original photo shows up.. sorry.

Ok I set the 24" as default monitor and desktop speakers are back.. Must be something to do with the HDM! connection, that is how I have it connected. I have a RGB on my card, should I just use that or is image quality lost? Would it be better to use dvi on computer then to rgb on tv via adapter?

Oh just a note: I had to raise my desk chair quite a bit.. :smile:

I run 3 42" with no problem. Has a lot to do with your video card though. Makes the guages look so real. Awesome to see someone else on the same page I am. Cpt out.

Would like to do the same. What card(s) are you using, PC specs? Very interested in 3 x 40". I imagine the immersion is far better than a 27" monitor. How far back from the main monitor do you sit? Is the image quality ok? Thank you are any advice.

Ok I set the 24" as default monitor and desktop speakers are back.. Must be something to do with the HDM! connection, that is how I have it connected. I have a RGB on my card, should I just use that or is image quality lost? Would it be better to use dvi on computer then to rgb on tv via adapter?

Oh just a note: I had to raise my desk chair quite a bit.. :smile:

In my experience I've had the best luck with DVI to HDMI for your TV. You should research how well that card can handle three monitors before making the plunge as that would be a combined 5760x1080 resolution. Plus you mention keeping the 24" for the gauges  You could get a newer more powerful card for the 3 TV's and keep that vid card for the 24" monitor. FYI, newer cards come with HDMI ports. Glad you're enjoying the new view, really changes things doesn't it! :)

just a reminder for those wanting Big immersion there are also short throw projectors out now. That means 100" at 6ft. yes thats right 6ft the first thing I noticed where the opus clouds OMG!

ZORAN

Bread Hammer: Thanks for the tip on DVI-HDMI.I will get a cord on Monday.   I will research my card for 5760x1080 but in the mean time one thing I have decided was I don't like the gauges on my 24". It just doesn't feel natural to me. It might be ok if I could set up the 24 just under the larger main some how??? Ill look into that a bit. My card has one HDMI port 2 DVI's and a VGA port.  The other thing I have made a decision on is 47" for me is too big. My initial thought was 40-42" and now I think I will go that way.. Im going to go get a 42 and give it a try on Monday and see if my thinking is correct and the quality of the picture should be better as well.. The 47" will go into my guest bedroom I guess if the 42 turns out better. Now the hunt for a 42" plasma...

Zoran: Any recommendations on brand of projector?

Question: 1)  Should I be setting the vertical sync to something in Nvidia inspector with the 120Hz Monitor?

2) If i go with the plasma they are 600Hz, do I need to set vertical sync with that as well?  I read the 600Hz plasma's are just 10 x 60Hz somehow

Thanks and appreciated.

Richy I bought this model a year ago and I was prepared to accept the lower native resolution in short throw projectors as a compromise for immersion eg the cockpits are proportionally correct so it feels like Im in the real aircraft. wrong, no compromise as the resolution display is crystal clear and all instruments in all aircraft including PMDG are sharp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/745427-REG/BenQ_MX613ST_MX613ST_Short_Throw_Projector.html

ZORAN

I don't know how much of a difference going to a 42" will make but it isn't likely to be very dramatic. The problem is due to spreading the same number of pixels over a larger screen. A 1080p resolution in a 24" monitor means the pixels (dots) are small and very close together. The same 1080p in a 42" screen mean the same number of pixels that fill in the screen are larger and further apart. A higher antialiasing can help but I have never got my 32" TV to be as sharp as my old 24" monitor. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to put up with for the larger screen immersion. 

Sorry Bro, I just realized I missed your question, Mine is a Plasma. If my wife knew what I had tied up in this hobby, Well lets just say she doesn't know lol.. Cpt out.