Sign in to follow this  
Jive1

SCENERY.CFG has too many sections

Hey!

After many years flying in FS2004, which is still the bebst Flight Simulator, and having built in lots of beautiful sceneries, I'm now experiencing a problem for which I don't have a goed solution.I have now 2090 AREA's in my Scenery.cfg, but thet is not the same as 'sections' I believ, and now suddenly I got a message that I've never seen before, telling me:

SCENERY.CFG has too many sections in it. The maximum number of sections is about 1000. Click ABORT to Exi Flight Simulator.

My problem is now, that I don't know very well how I can reduce the number of 'sections' without having to shorten my scenery list in the scenery.cfg file. How can I reduce th number of sections if I even don't know exactly which sections are in. And how can I in the best way solve this problem without having to start making several scenery.cfg files, not having the whole world in one single scenery.cfg file.....

Is there a good solution?

Greetz

Jive1

You can edit your scenery .cfg and there are tools that present the information in an understandable way. I use FSX, but I imagine you would find such tools for your version, were you to search. You can make several versions of your scenery .cfg and use only relevant ones for your session. As an example, I have approximately 1200 scenery titles, but I arrange them regionally and only load the regions I intend to view. I load the North American continent scenery titles when I just want to fly around USA and Canada. Perhaps I want to fly from London to Tokyo, then I will load The British Isles and Asia. I keep a master .cfg, from which I delete the unwanted areas, then save as that as the scenery.cfg. In that way, I never have more than about 500 active and loaded scenery layers. This is important, because if you just deactivate them, they still count toward your 1000 layer limit.

Rick Keller

Hey!

I can understand that, and I was already busy to make several scenery.cfg files per each continent. My question then is....

I have lots of AI airlines from WOAI and MAIW. I know these bgl's with instructions for AI aircraft are in the World scenery, and I will keep these bgls all the time in whatever continent I want to fly. But 'sections' is not the same as 'areas' in the Scenery.cfg file. If I have to lower the number of sections below 1000 , an I have now over 200o areas in the scenery.cfg file, what will happen with the AI airlines? Will they be available all over the world when I lower the 'sections' by decreasing the 'areas' of my scenery.cfg file?

In fact my question is: what is te relation between 'sections' and 'areas' in the scenery.cfg file?

Greetz

Jive1

Sections and Areas are the same thing.

You will have no problem with AI as the only active AI is in an area around your plane of about 60 NM in radius,

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hey!

I encountered a new problem.....

When making different scenery.cfg files, I was ready with one file with only my North America extra sceneries and the main general areas inside. There were at that moment only 257 areas in it.

I replaced the original sscenery?cfg file with that new ons, but FS9 did not start, instead I got the same message of too many sections.....

What happened now?

Greetz

Jive1

During this process make sure there is no oldscenery.cfg or newscenery.cfg in the root FS9 folder.

If they are there, move them to your desktop until you get things working as you want, then you can delete them.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Indeed,

Indeeed there was still my Oldscenery.cfg file in the default folder of FS9. So, I took it away, and now.. I'm ready with North America ( = 1 scenery.cfg ) and with Cetral America + Caraibic ( = second scenery.cfg ) and they work fine! So now I'm in the process of making some other scenery.cfg files, one for South America plus Antarctic Area, one for Europe, one for Russia and Siberia, one for South Asia, and one for Oceania.

Thanks for all the help!

Greetz

Jive1

Hey!

Meanwhile, I have all sceney.cfg files ready....

Oh boy! That is not easy to work with, because each time that a new area is added, one has to save that file... and! Is there a sort of program to keep all these cfg-files as they should be, and updated each time but saved under the right name....You know I have now, eight cfg-files for eight areas, but each time saving and renaming and updating one of these files, it aks for a complicated arganisation where missing is always possible.....

Is there someone who has a spcific system to not make mistakes in all that different files? Please inform me....

Greetz

Jive1

I use FS Scenery Manager 1.8 to group sceneries by region and can activate/deactivate regions by few clicks ...