Sign in to follow this  
FlyCathay

AI disappear above 8000ft

Recently I realize I got no in flight traffic when I am flying. So today I fly my plane to follow an AI. At around 8000ft, the airplane just disappeared in front of me. I also used FS commander to track the AI, and indeed they all disappear above 8000ft. I am using a combination of UT2 and BGL style file. They both have the same problem.

Thanks,

Any idea of what is going on?

Danny F

Yes I know that problem of UT2. However, in my case I couldn't get any traffic over land as well, and same thing happens for the traffic with tradition BGLs which I place under Scenery/World folder, so I don't think it is a UT2 issue.

Danny F

Ok guys, I just did a test today by removing all the AI traffic addon (UT2, WOAI etc). Then, I added back the trafficaircraft.bgl. Same thing happened to default traffic. I am thinking it is a fault in FSX or some of my settings are wrong? <_<

Danny F

I believe you shouldn't be using a combination of ut with anything, dont mix fs9 and fsx traffic files. Also utx is still running in the background even if you enable default traffic. I'd suggest disabling all default bgls and only running ut. Also do you have a traffic manager like ai smooth running?

I believe you shouldn't be using a combination of ut with anything, dont mix fs9 and fsx traffic files. Also utx is still running in the background even if you enable default traffic. I'd suggest disabling all default bgls and only running ut. Also do you have a traffic manager like ai smooth running?

That's not true. You can run UT2 with regular traffic.bgl's and will not have any adverse effects. I've been running UT2 with WOAI cargo traffic for years since UT2 doens't include much in the way of cargo and have experience no issue at all, as well as many others doing the same with fine results. The main difference between UT2 and regular traffic is that UT2 isn't .bgl based like regular (old school) traffic is. Mixing them is fine. The only time you can run into problems mixing traffic is when you have some that is in FSX format and some that is in FS9 format, it will cause problems of some traffic not showing up.

It sounds like a weird problem that the OP is having and I have never heard of traffic disappearing at a certain altitude. The only thing I can think of that would cause traffic to disappear, but not at a certain altitude is by using the SmallPartRejectRadius tweak, which can cause traffic models to vanish at a certain distance based on their pixel size, but the altitude shouldn't come into play, unless of course they get beyond the pixel size that is defined in the tweak and it just so happens that the AI happen to be at that size at 8000'.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

it is indeed extremely weird. I don't think it is the SmallPartRejectRadius because I am using a fighter to follow the AI, it just disappears in front of me. The problem is not at exactly 8000ft, sometimes it is around 7000, sometimes it is 9000. To say the least, I can't see any AI cruising above 10,000ft . I hope I can live with having no cruising traffic when I am flying. You know sometimes I do miss the AI in fs9.

The last thing I can do is to clean reinstall.

Danny F