This is a picture of my 4 month old EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked GPU.

I have been very pleased with the performance of this card until...

It quit working on Friday night.

I had just departed from EGLL in a 738 NGX on a DOVER3 departure headed for EHAM when FSX locked up - I thought this was strange because this very rarely happens on my system.

Once I was back onto my desktop Windows 7 displayed a message that read something like "The video drivers have crashed but have successfully recovered". Shortly after that message the display began to flash and become distorted until it went away all together. After manually rebooting I was able to use the display enough to see that the the GPU was no longer being recognized by any hardware monitor or Precision X - but the rest of my system checked ok.

To isolate the GPU as the faulty component I removed it and installed a back up / tester GPU (Zotac Nvidia 8400 GS). The problem was resolved and the system back to normal operation. (besides not being able to fly with this underpowered GPU :P )

I contacted EVGA's customer support who immediately told me the GPU had failed. I then submitted a RMA, which was approved surprisingly quickly, and the GPU is now boxed and on its way to EVGA for warranty. My experience with EVGA's customer support has been nothing short of outstanding to this point.

After doing some forum reading on EVGA's site I found this exact type of failure is becoming common with all EVGA versions of the GTX 660. Apparently this is a problem with early built model 660s (REV1.0), which is what mine is.

I am not positive exactly what failed on the GPU or why but if you compare the EVGA 660 to other 660s like the Gigabyte or MSI you might find the answer. The cooling on the EVGA card is, well... embarrassing when compared to its counterpart's cooling. I have always been curious of my 660's operating temperature because it would run 65-75c while flying but I also read that was an ok temp for the GPU. Of course this is just my opinion but I would like to hear opinions and feedback from others.

**I am posting this information only as a resource for current owners or anybody considering purchasing one of these GPUs.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I NEVER run stock fan speeds. Go out and buy one of those other brands and when they fail, and they will, see how well their RMA system is compared to EVGA!

@@RWFeldman

Hi Rendi - I will be sticking with the EVGA 660 that they send me back, although I may consider the MSI 660 as a back up. Do have have any experience dealing with the other manufacturer's customer service or RMA? I have heard EVGA's is bar none but I have nothing to compare them to. I was just curious if anybody has any experience, feedback, or comparison with those other cards.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

When I was looking at the 660s I saw that picture also.....one single little baby fan. That is one of the main reasons I went with the 670 FTW Signature 2 by EVGA....two is better than one.

Ben Ive dealt with just about all of them. By far EVGA has the best customer support. I went around with ASUS on a video card one time. But that could have just been a bad experience? The single fans are fine, their purposely designed. The problem is, manufactures keep them at 40% fan speed out of the box. Which IMO is too low. I run 60% and drops temps by 20 C. People complain " My faaaaan is tooooo load". You run HP computer that part of the game. Be like Jimmy Johnson telling Chad Knaus "My race car's tooooooooooooo Looooooooud" :) I know what Chad would say!

Ive dealt with just about all of them. By far EVGA has the best customer support. I went around with ASUS on a video card one time

Hi Rendi -

That is great feedback! To be honest, I was running my 660 SC at the stock settings including fan speed. My thought was that it should come ready to rock with the pre sets but we all know what assume means B)

When my new card arrives I will be sure to command the fan to run at least 60% all of the time. My system is air cooled and I already have 12 fans running so the little extra noise will probably go un noticed anyhow...especially while in flight. I figure EVGA knows what they're doing with thatt singe "cage" type fan since the new TITAN has the same cooling design.

:LMAO: @ your Chad / Jimmy comment.. so true!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485