Sign in to follow this  
Jetranger

C-90 Textures - 2048 ?

I was wondering if there was anyway to reduce the Textures of the Carenado C-90, from 2048 to 1024 ?

I just purchased this C-90, think its an alright plane, but, the Textures are a tad bit much consuming on my Computer, even with a reeally decent graphics card and 12 Gigs of Ram, and a Quad Core processor.

Really don't feel I should have to  lower all my settings just to Fly that particular Aircraft more Fluidly,,, kinda sucks,,, very Taxing on my System, compared to other Aircraft I've got from them and other payware too.

Any ideas ??

Thanks !

Jetranger.

I doubt lowering the texture resolution will help all that much, compared to most aircraft the total vidmem used by the textures is very low. To be honest, any bad performance you experience with the C-90 is likely an issue of overall complexity. The only real way to fix it would be for them to make the model a little less complex, and look into more efficient mapping to support that amount of vertices and texture resolution they wish to use. 

In any case, should you wish to try it, I can only advise Paint.net (free) if you do not have a version of Photoshop that is supported by Nvidia's DDS plugins. Paint.net has native .DDS import/export abilities, and is rather easy to use from what I remember. Although I haven't used it in about 5 years, so it could be different now.

Jordi Blumberg

Hi Jetranger,

I suppose it is not the graphics of the C90b more the quite power consuming Avidyne unit. Even more present in the B200 as it has two fsx-native GNS and that Avidyne unit.

What happens if you leave its power completely off? does that help in performance?

Or try to fly in the waypoint / flightplan mode only and do not use the weather radar.

Wow.  What specifically are your quad core and video card?  The C90 runs very smooth on my system, even with the Avidyne on and an RXP GNS430 installed.  My system is a Gateway FX6860 I7 2600 with 8 GB DDR3 and an EVGA GTX560TI vid card with 4 GB.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The other Carenado Aircraft I have installed their 172, 206's work just fine without any severe loss of performance on the FSX System.

Captain Sims 707's & 727's and 737's all work flawlessly as well as Just Flights Constellation and DC6's & DC3's and Lionhearts Aircrafts !!

as well as all of the Freeware Aircraft of milton Shupes with full Textures inside & out too !

But very few of the Aircraft installed in my FSX Gold Acceleration / have those 2048 X 2048 Textures.

most are 1024 X 1024,,,,, or less and they display and look just fine !

I can only see using those 2048 Hi Def textures if your into looking at the Rivets and possibly better clarity and detail of the cockpit guages for extreme detail maybe .

I personally, rather like to Fly and see where i'm going and see the scenery, NOT too interested in what the Rivets look like or Super Extreme detail of some cockpit guage !!! 

or the Extreme detail in the Cracks and wear in the Tires or whatever,,,,

I guess next up in the "Future" will be Hi-Def Textures of 7048 X 7048 or some Disasterous unreal Textures, that most Flight Simmers can't use or something so we can see the extreme Textures of some Hydraulic hose or line on the aircraft or something,,,

kinda think were getting a tad bit out of whack with some of this Over Extreme Detail in some of these areas that aren't really warranted really. 

Guess I'll have to be more careful, of what Aircraft I buy or download from now on IF they've got Extremely Ridlicious Hi Def - Textures.

They probably make Painting them look neat and easier and might make selling the aircraft or paint scheme look really cool , but, not to user friendly even on a good slightly amped up System like i'm running.

My system:    

12 Gigs of Ram

Quad Core AMD Processor

1. GB AMD Graphics Card XFX 6850  

1 TB HardDrive

FSX Gold / Acceleration with SP2

Track IR5

Registered version Payware Fraps

Windows 7 / 64 bit

Jetranger

turning down from 2048 to 1024 will make no noticeable difference if any most likely 2 frames. I have done it and experimented on the carenado c208. However it was not worth the effort.

On your question is it possible, yes it is possible, but entail some work. if you got the time to sit and do them it is all up to you.

Oh and C90 is really not that bad on an I7 3440k with 680 GPU. I am more then happy, even I must say the latest Carenado offerings are noticeably harder on frames for me. One thing I have completely got rid of the avidene and have installed custom plain and simple GPS. That made a huge difference on frames. It is known fact that the carenado avidene is very taxing on frames

One thing I have completely got rid of the avidene and have installed custom plain and simple GPS.

What GPS did you put in?  RXP530?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Jetranger,

on my quite old system, a Quad Q9550 intel, 8GB ram and a GTX285 I get very very stable and enjoyable framerates after cutting out the Avidyne system and replacing it esspecially with the RXP units, which are realy even not noticeable on framerates in my case ... from about 18 - 20 FPS to full locked 30 FPS! (same with the B200 btw.)

Just FYI, this post is an example how to comment out the Avidyne unit and replace the avionics with the RXP GNS 430 and RXP Wx500:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/391147-c90b-rxp-gns-430-rxp-wx500-retrofit/

One could also think of adding the Carenado Weather radar unit instead of the Wx500 if you own the Carenado C208, C340II or Malibu and keep the original Carenado 430 GPS ... so you should be on par or even better on frames as with these three mentioned aircrafts as these use mostly 3 fsx native units, the WX radar plus 2 GPS units and the C90B would then only have 2 in all ?!?

But keep in mind the Carenado Weather Radar is still harder on performance than the RXP.

Again ... I really doubt it is the high resolution of the graphics alone. Btw. I think I read somewhere the CS 707 and other use even 4096 x 4096 resolutions for their addons and they seem to work on your PC as well!

Cheers!

What GPS did you put in?  RXP530?

An old carenado GPS, that they used a couple of years ago, that I panelbeated to be used with the C90.

Well, I'll be a Monkeys Uncle !!!

Sure am glad I posted about the C-90 here, the amount of Valuable Information is, well, very informative I might add ~ !!!

I would of never of known any of this if I hadn't Inquired !

Well this week end I'll just have to go get rid of that Avidyne Thingy ma ~ Jobber - Du-Flunky, whatever ya call it thingy !!

Jet.