Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Exporting Flightplans

As it has been more than 8 months since I last flew the NGX and so have gone a bit rusty, and having just done a search for Exporting Flightplans to the NGX, and drawing a blank, can anyone kindly refresh me as to how I export a flightplan created in either EFB or FSX as when I did export a plan that I had created in EFB, and checked the Legs page in the CDU, none of the legs were displayed, just start airport, destination airport?

Tyring to use that new tool that was created recently, FpnConv, I get an error with it and it fails to load the plan.

Thanks.

As it has been more than 8 months since I last flew the NGX and so have gone a bit rusty, and having just done a search for Exporting Flightplans to the NGX, and drawing a blank, can anyone kindly refresh me as to how I export a flightplan created in either EFB or FSX as when I did export a plan that I had created in EFB, and checked the Legs page in the CDU, none of the legs were displayed, just start airport, destination airport?

Tyring to use that new tool that was created recently, FpnConv, I get an error with it and it fails to load the plan.

Thanks.

You need to export a .rte file.

There are different ways of doing this. There are programs called vroute and fsbuild. Although fsbuild can produce bad flight plans.

They are a quick way of getting aflight plan that is right, but sometimes I think it is worth checking VATAWARE, flight plans as they overall are better quality. There is a website called http://www.simroutes.com, which cam also export .rte files. If I do a rte file I call it EGLLEGPF.rte. Then you put in your flightplans folder for the PMDG. Then in the CDU in the RTE, where it says CO ROUTE type EGLLEGPF, it should load up the flight.

It's a long time since I used these things, as I am flying my same old flights.

Hi Julian

Many thanks for your reply. I do know all about .rte flight plans for the PMDG FMC/CDU because using just my AivlaSoft EFB, I have been exporting the flightplans created within EFB to my Level-D, PMDG.and FSX flight plans folders respectively as I've just been using those flightplans within the 747-400X and the MD-11X's FMCs. No issue there. What my question was about was why was the very same flightplan exported to the PMDG/Flightplans folder not showing up on the 737NGX CDU? I had to input manually, line by line on the LSKs. Fortunately, it was only a short flight. 

Hi Rick!

Don't forget that the NGX very specifically does not import flight plans containing SIDs and STARs.

I make a simple flight plan route in FSC (i.e. without any SIDs and STARs) which I import into EFB, and also into the NGX as a CoRoute. Then, in EFB I select the appropriate SIDs, STARs, and transitions, and simply add those to the NGX flight plan using the DEP ARR pages.

You can then save the flight, if you wish to, of course.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Bingo, Brian!! Just the answer I was looking for. This is what comes from being out in the cold not having used the 737NGX for such a long, long time. I was in fact adding the SIDs and the STARs to the EFB-created flightplan, which when exported showed me that it had in fact exported file e.g. EGGPEBBD01.rte to the PMDG/Flightplans folder, but as you have so kindly pointed out, the NGX unlike the other two Big Iron aircraft, does not import a f/p with SIDs and STARs.

Thanks a bunch.

My pleasure, Rick!

Incidentally, one other little gotcher to watch out for is that your flight plans will be in <fsx folder>\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX (and not <fsx folder>\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS with your other PMDG FPs), which can also catch you out if you're juggling information from flight planners.

Clear skies!

Brian

\PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS\NGX (and not \PMDG\FLIGHTPLANS

Thank you for that too, Brian as I thought they all got lumped under the collective PMDG\Flightplans, and wondered what that separate NGX folder was doing there. Yet another enlightenment from you. Now to catch up with time on the 737!!

You're welcome, my friend — the NGX is without doubt the best aircraft I've ever flown in my simming life: I love it even more than the 744, which is saying a lot.

My best regards to Warton, too: I did visit there once when I was working for what was in those days Hawker Siddeley Aviation <nostaligc sigh>....

Cheers,

Brian

Hawker Siddeley Aviation

Now, that evokes nostagia for me as I wanted to join them to my aeronatutical engineering before I ended up in the RAF,and later on post-Service, BA, which is where the handle comes from.

Quite mind-blowing when I see the Typhoon standing on its jack as it soars into the skies above with afters on. The Lightnings I used to see at Binbrook were nothing like it.

The PMDG737 NGX is, immersive, to say the least, but every so often I like recycling my hangar and get the MD-11, the Level-D and the 747-400 out for a spin.

Thanks once again.