Sign in to follow this  
markbenjamin

Video card choice but what CPU will work with

I have an AMD Athlon II 3.5 GHz not overclocked or anything, and a Radeon ATi 6800 card. I really want to upgrade in a pretty major way; the system seemed state of the art for a moderate budget a couple of years ago and I see 3.5 GHz is still fast. But FPS is poor when using FTX YMML etc What can I do guys? I could spend say $750 on a video card if that gets me anything amazing although less is better obviously. But perhaps without a better CPU it won't be god on its own?

(Sorry I wrote 8700 before)

FSX is quite cpu intensive and if you installed a fast more powerful video card it could well be throttled by your cpu. 

The issue with many AMD cpu's is that they were rated very fast and although the Athlon series had reasonable IPC (instructions per clock) they were not as "fast/powerful" as when compared clock to clock with an Intel cpu.  The latter seems to run FSX better (and that is the opinion of most of the FSX gurus - it is well worth reading NickN's guides to setting up FSX over on the Simforums and Word Not Allowed's here if still available). 

You have to remember that 3.5GHz in an Athlon may not compare wrt to FSX to an Intel system (clock for clock and especially Sandy Bridge or later) in terms of performance.  For example SB and later use different types of RAM and memory controllers, and these are all important when you are looking at performance in FSX. 

On the Passmark page (not everyone will like this comparison, and their figures may not have validity wrt FSX - but they give a general comparative idea) The Athlon II 640 is rated to about one third of the performance of an FX-8350 and less than that of an Intel i5 750 (rated at 2.7GHz. )  As I said earlier GHz is not everything'

IMHO your video card balances your cpu and you need to think about balance (cpu, RAM, mobo, gpu, HDD, etc) when and how you want to upgrade.  There are some quite good upgrade systems available for around $750 (see Newegg if you are in the USA) and that may be the way to go.

Regards

pH

Thank you. There is something wrong with some part of my system now, probably the graphics card (I can't drive my bigger monitor at all let alone as one of three) and it may be time to upgrade. So perhaps an i7 machine with an 8 series card...

I'm in Australia

Hi   think i7 3770k   k is for overclocking  and it can be over clock safely and easily

to 4.5 hz  and  gtx 650 for 100 $ work perfectly with fsx     your gone a be  be very happy

mate ... 

MarkB

MWave and TI computers would be worth a look in Oz.

If you are running 3 monitors then you need a caed with at least 2GB VRAM to run them reasonably.

The GTX 650 mentioned above in my view is not a balanced choice if the 3770k is overclocked then it needs at least a GTX 670 to realise the full potential of a balanced system.

pH

And If the 3770 is not overclocked? I think that would require more cooling than I want to work at

At the moment I am leaning towards a 3770k and keeping my graphics card if that works, tweaking the config and reassessing.

And If the 3770 is not overclocked? I think that would require more cooling than I want to work at At the moment I am leaning towards a 3770k and keeping my graphics card if that works, tweaking the config and reassessing.

You don't need an i7 (3770K) unless you use software that specificaly uses multithreading, and even then you will only notice the benefit if you multitask on your computer. Get an i5 3570K and spend the difference on and aftermarket cooler even if it's a Cooler Master 212, you'll be able to get a 1Ghz overclock which will seriously improve your FSX experience.

I went out and bought the better i7. For $150 or something I might as well have the power for whatever else I will do in the future, I would rather do that than upgrade later on for more $. I'm planning some web development programs, my other hobby. I can sell the old mobo and CPU on eBay as it is a good setup although not ideal for fsx.

I have kept my video card and will update that next after tweaking everything. Much to my surprise the computer didnt blow up after I built it (new mobo too) although the video card doesn't work yet, probably (I hope) a problem with the physical interface needing some manoeuvring.

My next problem is I will lose the room this year so time to finally install the sim in the shed with a projector.