Sign in to follow this  
Mudhendriver

Baffled

Everytime I start FS9, my heading is about 30-45 degrees off.  I thought the culprit might be some recent scenery I installed/activated, but I uninstalled and still the same issue.  I have deleted fs9.cfg and allowed it to build a new one, and the issue remains.  Also tried to start with default (C172/KSEA) and no change.

This one really has me stumped.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Rich Perry

Everytime I start FS9, my heading is about 30-45 degrees off.  I thought the culprit might be some recent scenery I installed/activated, but I uninstalled and still the same issue.  I have deleted fs9.cfg and allowed it to build a new one, and the issue remains.  Also tried to start with default (C172/KSEA) and no change.

Thanks

Rich Perry

Thanks

Rich Perry

I'm not sure what you mean by heading being off but if you're using a joystick have you tried recalibrating it?

Or are you saying that when the nose is pointed known geographic north your magnetic compass is 30-45 degrees off? (And if so, do your magnetic and gyro compasses agree?)

Mag compass and ND/HSI all agree--more like 15-20 degrees off. I found an old post that mentioned the magdec.bgl within FS9 scenery can get dorked up...I moved that file onto my desktop and FS9 worked fine...all headings agree...I found a newer version of magdec.bgl (2010) and installed back into FS9/scenery/Base/scenery and fired FS9 up and it went back to misalinged headings. I don't think I can run without magdec.bgl completely...but I suspect some interface issue with a scenery and magdec.bgl which is causing the issue. Still working it.

Thanks.

Put your magdec.bgl file in the highest priority scenery you can. In my case, that's a dedicated "special scenery" folder I use to keep various problem files just below the AES folder, which has to be the absolute top priority. Once it is in the highest numbered scenery you can put it in, it will over-ride any conflicting data in one or more of your other addon sceneries which is probably the source of the problem. I don't know how or why - I just know it works... :-)

Cheers

Ian

[Area.438]
Title=RAF Burtonwood
Layer=438
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Addon Scenery\RAF Burtonwood
Remote=

[Area.439]
Title=Special
Layer=439