Sign in to follow this  
isardriver

ctd after driver updates

hi there,

am still new at all this, especially when reference is made to various file types.

here is the problem,

after ctd's on my new computer, purchased about a year + ago and having gone from xp to win 7, i finally was able to "just fly".  now, having returned from a lengthy overseas trip, my computer naturally does the auto update event.  when i first turned it on to fly with fsx since i was gone, the first message that appeared was "power desk manager detected new video settings, restar to take effect" - this power desk is for th2go.  i said no, as it has been several months since the computer was turned on and everything worked well before i left.

i then began to search the internet and have updated the nvidia driver for the gtx 560 card. i also searched for new firmware for the th2g, but none was found.  i did follow your advise on this forum re appcrash view and discovered the following:

fsx.exe Stopped working 4/19/2013 11:54:21 AM fsx 0xc0000005 0x000f651a nvwgf2um.dll 9.18.13.1106 C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe 20,070 C:\Users\fsx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCra.

problem is, everytime i click the icon to start fsx, it never gets beyond 5 seconds or so of loading and informs there is a fatal error.  apparently due to some conflicts or upgrades which i did not have before.

i have no idea what's going on.  i have an asus i7 computer which was purchased solely for fsx, but have had significant issues over the past which i thought i had overcome.

i also have rex, ifly 737, airbusx and airbus x extended.

any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

pete

That sure looks like a driver issue. If you let Microsoft update your video drivers, it may have corrupted something. I NEVER let Microsoft update an Nvidia video driver, after I "accidentally"  didn't see one listed in the important updates sections and let it install one. What a mistake. No more. I always do manual updates and I always "hide" the video driver updates so they don't pester me anymore. What driver version did you finally end up with?

Also, you may want to read through this very detailed post about updating Nvidia's drivers. You may be able to recover things with his instructions. It's either that, or go back to the driver you were using before things epically failed.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1776353&mpage=1

i did follow your advise on this forum re appcrash view and discovered the following

There should be a lot more to the AppCrashView report but the info you provided above indicates a problem with your NVidia display drivers version 311.06.  Try updating them to the 314 series.  It could also be the TH2GO device causing your display drivers to crash your FSX.  I am unfamiliar with the TH2GO for multiple monitors so cannot help you further with this.  An update of drivers just might fix the problem. 

Make sure your computer system drivers are all up-to-date (for your motherboard, USB, CPU, and other devices on your computer).  You can do this by downloading any driver scanner software (Google).  I use Uniblue Driver Scanner.  It will scan your system for outdated drivers and tell you which ones are out-of-date.  If you want the driver scanner program to update them, you need to pay for it.  You can also see what drivers are outdated via the scan and then go to the Internet site where the new driver is located and update them yourself.  At least you will know if any of your computer system drivers are out-of-date.

AVSIM has an excellent forum on monitors, video cards, and they have discussions on multiple monitors.  Perhaps a member there can help you with TH2GO. 

FSX will not start up if you saved a flight and made it the default and you no longer one or more of the items in the flight you saved (i.e., the aircraft, the weather, the sound, the gauge(s), etc.).  FSX will not start up if you do not have Microsoft Visual C++ 2005, 2008, and 2010 installed.  If the proper version is not found by fsx when starting up, FSX will crash.  Here are the latest versions:

2005 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347

2008 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26368

2010 - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

hi there,

many thanks for both of your quick responses.  all of them make sense.

after i did have the issue, i downloaded 314 for nvidia. still nothing, then i did a "scanfix" via cmd prompt and it mentoned some file were repaired, but fsx, including internet explorer and pretty much any program open will say "crashed".  however, they all still seem to run, with the exception of fsx.

i wished i knew more about computers, updating, programming, etc, but i don't, therefore it becomes frustrating when all i wanna do is fly, hence the purchase of a computer solely dedicated to fsx.  i realize updates are necessary, etc, especially as i want to expand to eventually build a cockpit, but man is it difficult.

i will check re both of your suggestions.

its weird that i get an error /fatal message after using winternet explorer to i.e. the research on this, and then still be able to use it, but fsx only tries to load for about 5 seconds and then shuts down with the fatal error message.

pete

Just like in car crashes, computer and software crashes have to be investigated.  None are the same on every computer so you are the one on the front line to investigate with us giving you some suggestions here and there.  Eventually the cause will be found and fixed.  If you are getting really frustrated with no solution, then the for sure solution would be to reinstall Windows 7, get it up and running and stable then reinstall FSX.  I am trying to prevent this major task of reinstalling everything.  I do know that if you had a clean install of FSX and just FSX with no SP's, no Acceleration, FSX should run fantastically with no problems.  It's when you add those new aircraft, new scenery, etc., that things start to go wrong.  And, another minus in your column is the power desk manager (maybe not compatible with FSX?) and the TH2GO hardware that many of us don't use or own.  But not to worry.  I learned what I know by investigating problems like yours and conducting a lot of research.

I hope my previous suggestions work.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

thank you sir,

i will keep you posted.

i am not ready yet to reinstall everything, i had that issue when i first bought the computer when there seemed to be compatibility issues with win 7 and fsx.

then there were touch screen issues as i use one for an fmc.

perhaps i will send the entire appcrashview file along later today, as it is hard for me (a newbie) to decipher what is not working.

again, many thanks

pete