Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Win-Xp And Popup Adds

Guest B1900 Mech

Goodevening everyone ( trying to maintain composure). I have win-xp and am now getting these adds which interupt my flightsim sessions! I tried to disable windoze messenger to no avail! I have comcast high speed internet, and never had this issue with win-me. Is this a present from good ol bill? Thanks for any input, Jimhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/20390.jpg

Not sure what you did to try to disable the messenger service, but here's how I did it successfully. Go to Start:Run and type in services.msc . When the services module comes up, scroll down till you find "Messenger." Right click on Messenger and select Properties. When the Properties box comes up, look about halfway down on the Properties where it says Startup Type. Select "disabled" in the scroll down box, click apply and ok. That "should" take care of it. If it doesn't post again and I'll see if I can help some more.KP

Guest B1900 Mech

Thank's Ken! I tried it thru start/run/gpedit.msc/user config/administrative templates/win components/win messenger. I will give your method a go.

Hi there,I think you got the wrong messenger - to confuse matters, there are two of them :). One is Windows Messenger, the internet tool that allows you to chat to people etc. The other one is just called 'Messenger'. This is a tool primarily for LAN administrators etc., which enables them to send pop-up messages to every computer on the network. While this can be useful to get information to your employees very quickly, spammers have also discovered its advantages :(. It can be found here: Start Menu/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services. Scroll down to 'Messenger' and under 'Startup Type', select 'Disabled'. That should do it. In addition, I would also download a program like 'Ad-Aware' to get rid of the software that generates the pop-ups.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Or, if you have a firewall, make sure you're not in DMZ. When I am I get those too.