Sign in to follow this  
nrcrate

777 Technical Question

Hey All,

I've been hunting for an answer to this for quite a while and have been unsuccessful... Probably since I don't know what exactly to call the thing I want to know about haha. It's just after 5:30 in the video below. On both the Captain and F/O side on the glareshield, outboard of the Master Warning/Caution lights. They look like black/white chevrons and they appear right after A/P disconnect. I'd like to know if anyone could educate me as to what exactly they are called and what their function is. I've only been able to find them in this one video, so I'm assuming they are a rare airline option. Thanks!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMydKAcqKCg

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

I am just guessing and can be way off... I think it was a full CAT 3 landing with rollout... My guess is the disconnection of the autopilot and rollout phase which caused the master caution indicator... Shot in the dark sure someone will correct me if I am wrong....

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

master caution indicator

Right, but I don't get a sense that those black and white barber-pool-like things are master caution indicators, especially since they move as they steer the aircraft off the runway.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

It's Para-Visual Display

Excellent! That's exactly what I wanted haha. Thanks!

Quoted from pages 159-160 in this document: http://www.asc.gov.tw/downfile/SQ006_ENG.pdf

...the PVD is a display that allows the pilot to receive directional information from a peripherally located display whilst maintaining eyes forward and out the window looking for familiar visual cues. The two PVD elements are mounted on the coaming centrally in front of each pilot; one on the right side and one on the left side... 

Each PVD unit is actually a mechanical device incorporating a rotating rod or pole that has black stripes on a white background (like a “barber pole”). Rotation of the pole gives the impression of lateral motion, or streaming, to the left or right. The PVD becomes a valuable indication in the case that runway visibility is poor (less than 50 meters) during takeoff. The PVD is tuned to the takeoff runway’s ILS signal. As long as the aircraft is on the runway centerline, the “barber pole” indication is stationary; however, when the aircraft diverges left or right of the centerline, the barber poles streams to guide the pilot’s steering. For example, if the aircraft is to the right of the centerline, the PVD will stream left to guide steering left toward the centerline.

The PVD is a high-reliability reversionary aid to runway steering—the primary aid being the pilot’s normal visual cues from runway marking and lights. The PVD should unshutter and begin functioning correctly as the aircraft is aligned with the runway centerline, and remain functioning as long as the controlling parameters remain valid. The PVD remains shuttered when it is not in use or when the ILS signal is not being picked up (e.g., out of range, signal blocked, system failure).

Hope that answers anyone else who wonders what it is.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

EFB - I was wandering what the situation might be with regards to the EFB as i have noticed in captain sims 777 the EFB is modelled. I guess my question is will it be modelled and if so to what extent?