Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

FSNavigator question (how to exclude stock airports)

Thanks for the post. To be honest I have given up trying to decompile and recompile default AP files - there always seem to be errors and the file won't recompile using BGLAnalyze.exe for FS9). Even if I decompile and recompile the sca file without making any changes, I far too often don't get a bgl file - just a string of erros. Not sure why this is, as sometimes the process works fine, and I rarely have any issues with the process with files that are not default FS9 AP files. Often ADEx9 works well, making a stub file - that avoids having to edit the original AP file. The change default airport elevation tool is especially useful).

Martin

Hans is absolutely right - a small difference in the name is enough to cause a double display, as is a variation in airport co-ordinates (as I mentioned earlier). Sometimes a separate A&F file for taxi signs is al that shows because it is the last to be read by FSN, It is all down to the way FSNavigator reads (and ignores) files with A&F data in them which is (obviously) different to the way FS reads and ignores them.

Its also a fallacy that FS cannot handle multiple A&F files so the so-called "stub" files invented with ADE9 are not essential - all I did before and after ADE was invented was to place a copy of the A&F file to load before the default one to fix airport elevations. In essence that's all a "stub" file is but presumably it leaves out unrequired data.

In my experience there are very few FS Navigator display issues that cannot be fixed without a little perseverance but I do not ever interfere with AP*.bgl files. The only airports that I find I sometimes can't fix are those with A&F data built into files containing other important airport scenery. I seem to remember coming up against a number of these in South America. These were all sceneries built to pre-FS2004 principles so I guess we have to accept that we are trying to run two or more "legacy" products against each other on what is also a "legacy" game.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

All BGL decompilers are not perfect, and will not give error free files when decompiling default AP files...