Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lellulillu

Installing for Win 7 64 bit

Hi,

I just bought PMDGs MD11 & B747 from Aerosoft's sale. They only had boxed format, so that's what I got.

I already had experience of installing the NGX boxed. My computer did not recognise the disc, but I managed to work around that problem by copying the content to an external hard drive through another computer and then installing the NGX on this computer using only the data.

When I got the MD11 & B747, I tried to install them, and same problem. Neither of the discs was recognized by my computer. I tried the same workaround. This time no good, since both required the original disc to be inserted while installing. I contacted Aerosoft's support about this. I've got one reply and my last message to them has been without reply for days now. The issue persists.

The discs work fine on my other computer, so they are not the problem. Also, most other discs work on this computer as well, including old & new, CDs & DVDs. What is weird, is that also FSX discs have stopped working on this computer. But that's it. All other discs work but FSX and PMDG.

I also suspect that the problem is not my optical drive. The driver is up to date, and even using a virtual drive didn't do it: I created a disc image of the MD-11 disc and mounted it on a virtual drive. I got it to do the autorun and open the installation window, but when I clicked install, the message I got was "wrong disc inserted", whereas when I had tried installing using only the raw files copied from the disc I had got "no disc inserted".

I know it's a complicated problem, but I'm hoping someone here might have some experience of similar cases. As said in the title, I am using Windows 7 64 bit, which could be causing some compatibility issues, based on what I've read in some forums all over the internet.

If all else fails, might it be possible for me to get a download version of these two products and maybe use the installation keys that came with the boxes...? I'm desperate.

Aleksi Laine

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've had this issue before with disk copy protection. Your DVD drive is having a hard time reading the disks. Buy a new DVD drive or put your other computer's DVD drive temporarily in your computer just to install it.

I've considered getting an external drive, since they're not that expensive, but I'm worried that the issue might not be the drive, but somewhere else in the computer...

I probably would try it however, if someone could explain to me why the virtual drive with the disc image didn't work? Is there some kind of protection for that as well?

I've considered getting an external drive, since they're not that expensive, but I'm worried that the issue might not be the drive, but somewhere else in the computer...

I probably would try it however, if someone could explain to me why the virtual drive with the disc image didn't work? Is there some kind of protection for that as well?

Be careful, copy protection is smart and finicky, an external USB type drive may not work either.  eSATA would probably have better odds of working if you go external.

Yes, copy protection easily will prevent a disk image from working. There are probably cracks and hacks around this but honestly time and sweat spent to figure it out would cost more than a new $20 DVD drive.

I'll be going external. But there are a couple of things I'd like to try and understand, and would be very grateful if you could explain some of it.

If this problem has something to do with the copy protection, why is it me that has the problem and not everyone else as well? And, eSATA sounds like a difficult option, since my fsx computer is a laptop, and I've no idea how to connect an eSATA drive to it, if it's even possible. Not much experience with computers' insides :P I might have to go for a USB