Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Air1

Looks like Shamu to me

Good job Larry. You are way ahead of me. One of these days......................... :p0504: :p0504:

Steve

Thanks my fellow flight brother Steve (Air1) for dedicating a whole topic just for this.  I am truly humbled and I thank you.

I am most certain all of our servicemen back in the day had a whooole lot of different ideas of just exactly "what" kind of whale was in their head.  So yes...the orca came to my mind immediately.

Sooo... now that I have some sleep and am bright eyed and bushy tailed I figured that I would share my experience.

Really the concept came to me fairly soon after the Flight Toolkit came out.  Believe me... I was probably more scared than you to try this.fear_zps3605e602.gif  I did take the plunge.

A long time ago Pandanator2 shared with me this photo when we were talking about the C-46 during one of our group discussions:

southwest_737_shamu_zps98323159.jpg

Then... I started:

DaFlyinWhaleinregularwhite_zps9236a937.j

Even though I had the idea for the white circle near the eyes I was afraid at first to modify the shape that I inserted...mostly... I did not know how...lol

DaFlyinWhaleinbrightwhite_zps9f1e331a.jp

Then the absolutely worst :Shocked: ....and best thing :Big Grin:  happened to me.

I had in my original Addon file about more man hours than I could count in it.  Probably close to 4 weeks of 40 hours a week (spread out thought) tied up all together in it.  I tried renaming the file and that was my "worst" thing.  I felt sick to my stomach.  It did NOT feel good losing all of that work.

The best thing though is that I learned a lot in the process and was able to save time by knowing my way around Gimp 2.8 more now... using the "Lasso" tool for when I messed up and overwritten and saved the file without double checking I didn't have any stray paint marks somewhere.  The Paint Can is my friend # 2 on the list.  CTRL + Z being #1...lol  Cause I had to "Undo" a whooooole lot!.

Then I got brave.  I decided to try and modify the plain round circle into something that looked a whole lot more realistic.  I found that I was only working with two colors and found out by trial and error that the "Erase" tool is my friend too.  What I found out is that it will automatically fill in the closest colors next to the other one that you are working with and I didn't now have to worry about hard edges.  It was now a whoooole lot easier to be confident in what I was doing and did not have to worry about "messing up" so bad.

I cannot tell you how much my index finger is sore from using the left click on my mouse.  However, CTRL + Left Click on the mouse was my friend too because when you are in "pencil" mode you can choose a color that is the exact one you want that is close by and you do not have to go all the way up the color palette to change colors all the time.

Finding parts to paint if you do not know where they are at is a BEAR!  Especially if you do not know that parts don't look like they should when you get into it.  I would have NEVER thought that some parts were what they were.  I spent a whole lot of time trying to find the silver strip around the base of where the glass dome is in the top or "blow hole" for the whale...lol.  the circle on the nose cone...the little black circle that used to be on the white part of the underbelly...the vents...oh mannnn... the list goes on and on like the Energizer Bunny.

I cannot tell you how many times I switched from Gimp... to Addon Builder refresher button... to MS Flight... back to Gimp again just so that I could see what I was doing or where I was going.  That gets annoying after a while...but it is very needful to see what you need to do.

Anyways... here is my favorite photo so far from my maiden "Flyin' Whale" voyage:

2013-6-7_10-6-14-262_zps4f2c8a14.png

For my next project I am keeping it to myself because I think it is a cool (no..... really really....VERY cool...lol) idea for one of our planes.

Thanks again Steve for devoting a whole topic to my Flyin' Whale.  Again I am humbled and very appreciative.

:p0502:  Still flyin' like a whale, :LMAO:    :p0502:

-fryer