Sign in to follow this  
rjmcgill

Delta Dropping KMEM as a HUB.

Delta Air Lines Inc. is dropping Memphis, Tenn., as a hub airport starting this fall.

The airline says the Memphis hub is not making money. It's cutting daily flights there to 60 per day from the current 96. It's also cutting 230 jobs.

The reductions begin on Sept. 3, right after Labor Day weekend and the end of the busy summer travel season.

The cuts are laid out in a memo from Delta executives to workers on Tuesday.

Most of the flying to be cut is on 50-seat regional jets, which Delta is phasing out.

Memphis was a hub for Northwest Airlines before it was acquired by Delta in 2008. Delta said at the time that it planned to keep all Northwest hubs.

This is a sad item for Memphis TN. My plane is in the hanger at Wilson Air Center on KMEM. We enjoy the canopy for our passengers to embark/disembark out of the weather. I have even seen a couple of Global jets pull under so it is huge. Makes it nice. We will miss you Delta. I just wonder who we will wait in line with now. Someone else will more than likely pick up KMEM as a hub. Lord know we have a ton of Fed Ex around here. Cpt out.

Someone else will more than likely pick up KMEM as a hub.

Southwest could have KMEM as a Focus City, similar to what they did in Nashville after American Airlines pulled out of there as a HUB. 

Southwest made Nashville a Focus City when AA left and expanded operations there by 54%. I could see them doing the same in Memphis as they are already there anyways. Just have to take up more space in the airport is all.

Matthew Kane

That wouldn't be a bad trade. I think the rates on Southwest are better anyway. I am curious to see what shakes out of this deal. Fed Ex eats up a ton of real estate around here. Can't say they are really in the way because they seem to schedule off peak times. I was kind of hoping for Southwest but we will have to wait and see what happens. KBNA isn't far from Memphis. Maybe we will see the Southwest flag flying soon. Cpt out.